Returning to PSO online with BBA...

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Re: Returning to PSO online with BBA...

Post#11 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:35 am

Thanks, pretty sure I did exactly that last night using the planetweb3.0 disc and that IP, not sure if I did it correctly though as there were some bits I just left blank. I'll try it again tonight.

I might try the boot disc but will have to refamiliarise myself with burning cdr's lol, should be all good though.

@Bluecrab, if I have attempted to setup the DNS redirect/trick stuff and THEN try to use the patcher 2.0, will there be any issues? Do I have to reset the settings? Or does the patcher just sort it all out?

If the patcher 2.0 disc will do everything itself then that will be the simplest way to go, just annoying to me from an IT support background point of view, that I can't get the connection to work using the DNS trick :( :( I was playing around with it last night but couldn't remember all the settings, and its possible I used the wrong IP

Previously I used the XDP browser to set this up, using the video I created below... but this was back in 2012. I didn't need to do anything with Doctor DNS or static IPs etc, just the XDP browser and setting up the DNS1 with the IP. So I'll try it again tonight with the new IP and see how it goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prFzenv6mew
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#12 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:58 am

The simplest way to go is to download the CDI and play with that. No boot discs or DNS tricks are required, setting up the BBA is as simple as picking "Website" on the title screen and plugging in the values, and you get fast loading, too. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:02 am

Download the CDI of what? The PSO Patcher? I thought using the patcher meant you didn't need to change any settings, you could just load the patcher then load the GDROM for the game. Or do you mean the PSOv2 NTSC-J disc CDI? I already have an original purchased PSOver2 PAL game so I'm not really keen to mess about with a jap version unless necessary

-

EDIT: OK So I've just burned and tried the PSO Patcher 2.0 but I am STILL getting a message about being unable to connect, I'll try and share the error, I've attached it. I'm not sure why I'm still getting it but there are spelling mistakes in it which suggests to me that its coming from the Sylverant server rather than the Sega Game Code.

Is there something I need to do on my Talktalk router to allow this to work? Something I'm missing or forgetting?
Attachments
PSO Connection error.jpg

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#14 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm

The message is from the game, not the server. Did you set your fake dialup ISP settings? You can't use the BBA unless you set a fake username, password, and phone number to dial so PSO thinks you have an ISP configured. DC is dumb and checks for modem configuration even when you use the BBA and won't let you go online if the modem information is missing, even though it's useless.

The CDI is NTSC-U, not J. It automatically connects to Sylverant, so you don't need to do any disc swapping at all. Using the GD-ROM means your system will do a lot of grinding, since the file sort order is terrible on the retail disc.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Aaah OK that sounds familiar about the fake dial up isp details, I'll give that a whirl. Would the patcher not do that itself though? Or does the patcher come into it after you've set up the bba?

About the ntsc-u disc, I do actually have a copy from previous attempts with this connection stuff, when you say the cdi for the USA copy automatically connects to silverant, does that mean you don't have to do anything apart from load the disc with the xploder then attempt to go online? Surely you would still have to setup the bba though right? I don't get how the ntsc version is so different it doesn't require any setup

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#16 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:34 pm

The patcher's functionality related directly to connecting to the server is only two things:
1. Forcing the hunter's license check to return success, without actually trying to connect to that server.
2. Changing the host name that the game tries to connect to.

It doesn't do any other patching related directly to connecting online. It doesn't set any settings up for you or anything else like that.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#17 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:42 am

DCUltrapro wrote:does that mean you don't have to do anything apart from load the disc with the xploder then attempt to go online?

You do not need Xploder or any other boot discs. Put in the PSO CD-R, press the power button, and select online mode.

DCUltrapro wrote:Surely you would still have to setup the bba though right?

Sure, but you don't need a web browser for it. USv2 has its own BBA setup screen that you access by selecting "Website" on the PSO title screen when a BBA is connected to the DC.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:50 am

Nice one, thanks guys. I'll try the PSOv2 NTSC-U disc again and see if I can setup the BBA.I burned it a long time ago and can't remember if it boots. Is there a special version which doesn't require the Xploder that I should be using?

So let me just make sure I've got it right, I've got 2 versions here;

-Using NTSC-U disc ONLY-
Load PSOv2 NTSC-U disc
setup BBA via website menu option
(setup fake dial up ISP details, DNS 1 as the sylverant IP, my static IP as 192.168.1.98)
Load game and chose to go online
hay presto...??

-Using NTSC-U disc and PSO Patcher as well-
Load PSOv2 NTSC-U disc
setup BBA via website menu option
(setup fake dial up ISP details, DNS 1 as the sylverant IP, my static IP as 192.168.1.98)
switch off and boot up with the PSO Patcher v2 disc
insert either of the NTSC-U or PAL discs
Load game and chose to go online
hay presto...??

Are they both correct in theory?

Also, potentially unrelated but still to do with the BBA setup, I used to use XDP Browser, I downloaded it and burnt a new disc again last night but it refuses to boot, yet I burnt the ver2.0 pso patcher last night using the same discs, same drive, same software and that worked fine, is XDP Browser no longer working?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#19 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:03 am

BlueCrab's boot disc only works with GD-ROMs, so it won't boot the USv2 CDI, and there would be no reason to boot the CDI with it, because the CDI is pre-patched.

USv2 can configure the BBA by itself, but you still need a separate browser disc to configure your fake dialup account.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#20 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 am

Aah ok cool, Sorry I wasn't aware of this pre-patched USv2 CDI etc, I didn't know about that. OK so I can setup the fake ISP dial up account details using planetweb3.0 or dreamkey 3.0 right? Then I just have to get hold of this Patched PSOv2 US CDI

So if the CDI is patched, all I need to do is setup the fake ISP account details with another browser, then load pso v2 us, setup the bba then go online right? Sounds good. So I just need to download the CDI for this patched PSOv2 US disc, is there a link to it in the guide? I'll have a look in a bit.

Thanks again