Returning to PSO online with BBA...

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Returning to PSO online with BBA...

Post#21 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 am

"Fear the HUnewearl."

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 am

Cheers mate, will let you know how I get on

2nd edit; ok so I burned the PSO v2 us disc, however my planetweb 3.0 browser won't give me the option to setup the fake dial up settings, just Broadband, I can't burn a working XDP browser either. Which browser would you guys use/recommend for applying the fake dial up settings? Can I use Dreamkey 3.0?

In theory, if I reconnect the Dial Up Modem to my Dreamcast, would Planetweb 3.0 then allow me to apply those settings? Is that how it would work? Then I can just switch back to BBA and use the PSOv2 US disc...?

Also is it normal for Disc Juggler to start acting like a douche and not work after a handful of burns, when using the demo mode? I have an image for planetweb (i wanted to try and burn a fresh one as it occasionally gives me an error that the disc is damaged) but whenever I try to load Padus and access that image, it crashes.
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 pm

OK So I've hit a wall now which is really irritating me lol

I've done the following;

Attached the modem and used planetweb to enter fake dial up isp details (what browsers do you guys use to do this)
I then switched to the BBA and loaded the NTSC-U PSOv2 patched CDI and setup the BBA (I noticed it seemed to struggle to save to the flash)
I used 192.168.1.98 as the IP
I used 138.197.20.130 as the DNS1

I then tried to use the psov2 NTSC-U patched CDI to try and get online, the 4 coloured discs spinned for ages then it gave up with the same error
I then attempted to use the PSOv2 patcher 2.0 disc with my PAL PSOv2 disc and had the same problem

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible the Planetweb disc which gives an ocassional error that the disc is damaged, maybe the issue? Or was the 4 spinning discs thing a problem with the server?

Thanks guys

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:09 pm

I use XDP when i need a browser..

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#25 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 pm

If you use static IP, you must configure the default gateway and subnet mask; otherwise, leave everything except DNS 1 blank/0.0.0.0.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#26 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:14 am

I did mention that for whatever reason I can't find a working image of xdp, I have a disc but it refuses to work. But if you know somewhere I can get a working one them I'm all ears :D

@Aleron; I'll try that, I don't know what you mean by IF I use static ip, am I meant to use static ip to get pso to work or not? I don't use it for anything else in my house/setup but I thought you had to set one for pso to work, that's how it seems based on what I understood from the guides, though I may have misread.

So can anyone give me the exact fields which are required/minimum to be filled out for dial up? Using Planetweb3.0 I entered everything I felt was mandatory in the past, then when I went to setup the BBA I entered an ip address because from previous experience and conversations with people like pcwzrd way back when I first set this up, I was under the impression you had to enter an ip which was in the same range as your routers IP. If thats wrong, no longer required then fair enough.

So if the dial up is now all set, and its just the fact I set an ip when setting up the bba via the PSOv2 NTSC-U patched CDI, then I'll try the BBA setup again with JUST the DNS1 being changed to the sylverant IP.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#27 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 am

Static IP works, but you need to know what subnet you're in, the subnet mask, and the IP of your router to set the default gateway. DHCP also supposedly works, but I've never tried it.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#28 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:48 am

OK I don't know anything about static IP, why would you NEED to use it, or is it just purely an optional thing? I am just using my standard UK Talk Talk router with my talk talk fibre internet, I do not use static IPs for anything on my network, so with that in mind, do I NEED TO use a static IP for PSO via bba? Or is it optional. If its purely optional then I can skip it.

As I said, the guide doesn't specify whether you need to or not, it just mentions that you can use DR DNS for static IP and to me, that isn't explicit about what you NEED TO DO to get it working. It also (from whatI can recall) doesn't mention that you need to have already setup your dialup ISP. Unless I missed that in the guide/instructions

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#29 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm

Darn this is all to fake a dial-up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjtBAyfAYUw

Skip to 20:41 , Yes XDP browser rocks ass. DC-live hosts download for it

UGB's demonstration does it for me perfectly every time, also a BBA player. Just use standard length (seven digit?) phone number though should Alien Front Online ever sparx yo interest

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#30 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:56 pm

I've used XDP before but for some reason my current disc version no longer boots and all the images I've found thus far have failed to burn. I will try to burn a new version soon if I have any joy on the site you mentioned, as I did prefer that browser. Thanks.

To Bluecrab, Aleron and everyone else who have helped, thank you very much! I managed to get back online for the first time in what seems like 3 years. I will explain roughly how I got it to work.

So I had to attach the old dial up modem to allow myself access to the dial up ISP settings via Planetweb3.0 browser.

Once done I then attached the BBA and set it up via the PSOv2 NTSC-U Patched ISO provided, JUST with the sylverant IP as the DNS1, everything else I left blank/unchanged. (removing the IP and DNS2)

Then I simply loaded the game and it worked! I played a bit on Forest and came off.

So basically when I set it up last night I simply had to put the DNS2 and the static IP back to blank/default and it would have worked.

Looking forward to playing with you guys properly soon! I need to update my Guild Card as its changed

Thanks again everyone!!