Do dial up works still ??

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Chance_4x
rebel

Do dial up works still ??

Post#1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:54 pm

2 years ago I was playing quake 3 online through the modem now I come back and everybody using something called “DreamPi” and BBA I don’t have all that and I don’t know how to use em lol I’m lost tbh but is there still a way to play through just the dial up modem?????

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Do dial up works still ??

Post#2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:35 pm

q3a should work on dialup no problem.. if you can find an isp...

probably need a dreampi for most of the other stuff...

Chance_4x
rebel

Post#3 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:47 pm

How can I find a isp doee??

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#4 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:16 pm

It'd likely be cheaper, easier, and faster to just buy a Dreampi kit than to get actual dial up set up in your home and pay the monthly fee that comes with it, but if you really must use dial up then take a look at companies like AOL and Netzero. They still offer dial up services.

So far, the only game that won't work with dial up is Alien Front Online.

Shuouma
Developer

Post#5 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm

And the 2k series and hopefully you will get the DNS to work, usually it is overrided. But yeah just fix a Dreampi.

Chance_4x
rebel

Post#6 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Thankz guyz I appreciate it :mrgreen:

MrSmith4447
noob

Post#7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:54 pm

I use Xfinity cable internet which comes with an active phone line through the cable modem. I was curious last month and decided purchase a dial up account from a company at https://www.localnet.com. it's maybe 9.99 per month. So far I've been unable to find anyone online for Q3A. I may have to adjust my settings. You can check the website for dial up access numbers in your area to see if they cover dial-up where you are. I would buy the Pi kit I've been reading about but I figured all ever known was dial up connection so why not. When is the next Quake gathering. I need to get back refreshed. It's only been hmmm maybe 16 years since my last session. Lol

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#8 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm

Quake is every Friday night. If you want to play at a different time, your best bet is to ask in the chat here if anyone is up for a game.

While there aren't always humans online, there should be a few servers with bots playing all the time, did you at least see those?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 pm

https://www.dreamcastlive.net/faq @ MrSmith

Screw the real thing when DreamPi tis limitless 0.o