Issue with Quake 3 connection (and everything else)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

d00g
noob

Issue with Quake 3 connection (and everything else)

Post#1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:31 am

Greetings,

I've been trying to connect to play Quake 3 (or anything really) online using a dreampi kit. It seems hooked up correctly and both lights turn on. While trying to play quake 3, I enter the information dream (login) and dreamcast (pw). I put both DNS to 0.0.0.0. Phone:111-1111. After this, I am taken to a screen that says "Server Failure" and "Connection Closed." I can't seem to connect to PSO either. I'm betting I'm missing something right in front of my face, but I've searched far and wide. Do any of you guys have an idea?

Thanks!

d00g

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Issue with Quake 3 connection (and everything else)

Post#2 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:49 am

Oh the dreaded "Server Failure" error. :? A few people have had that problem before but no one has ever found a solid solution. It gives you that error before even attempting to dial a connection which tells me it's something to do with the Dreamcast itself. I would assume a configuration issue of some sort but I have no idea what exactly. Quake doesn't show all the config options so you might want to check a web browser and see that everything is at default (with the exception of the username, password, DNS, and phone number of course).
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#3 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:19 pm

I got my Dreamcast properly configured using only Quake 3, but as pcwzrd said Quake doesn't give you all the possible options and it is possible that the previous connection settings had some crazy stuff set (especially if your Dreamcast is secondhand like mine and already had connection data on there).

If I'm not mistaken, the Dreamcast stores two different isp connection settings, have you tried using the other one?

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#4 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Agreed i had the same issue. Use the browser to setup the network. I had different usernames in the dc network settings that quake 3 did not pickup. Fixed it by clearing it all out and setting it through the browser. Make sure account 1 or primary account has the correct info.
Italian Stallion

d00g
noob

Post#5 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:50 pm

ReaderRagfish wrote:I got my Dreamcast properly configured using only Quake 3, but as pcwzrd said Quake doesn't give you all the possible options and it is possible that the previous connection settings had some crazy stuff set (especially if your Dreamcast is secondhand like mine and already had connection data on there).

If I'm not mistaken, the Dreamcast stores two different isp connection settings, have you tried using the other one?

Thanks for replying. As far as my ISP connection settings, the first is 46.101.91.123, the second 0.0.0.0 - is this what you're referring to? (Srry, I'm a n00b)

Also I set things up through a Dreamcast Web browser and saved it. When I go to play Quake 3 and click internet game, it asks me for the info all over again. When I enter it, I get the Server failure screen.

Thanks for your input. I'm determined to play dc online again.

db

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#6 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:04 pm

d00g wrote:
ReaderRagfish wrote:I got my Dreamcast properly configured using only Quake 3, but as pcwzrd said Quake doesn't give you all the possible options and it is possible that the previous connection settings had some crazy stuff set (especially if your Dreamcast is secondhand like mine and already had connection data on there).

Thanks for replying. As far as my ISP connection settings, the first is 46.101.91.123, the second 0.0.0.0 - is this what you're referring to? (Srry, I'm a n00b)

Also I set things up through a Dreamcast Web browser and saved it. When I go to play Quake 3 and click internet game, it asks me for the info all over again. When I enter it, I get the Server failure screen.

Thanks for your input. I'm determined to play dc online again.

db

46.101.91.123 is the dns. for the pi both first and second dns should be 0.0.0.0
Italian Stallion

Rasputin3000
shadow

Post#7 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:03 pm

Was this ever resolved?

My brother is having the same issue. I tested his Dreampi and it worked on my setup, but he keeps getting "Server Failure" when trying to connect to Quake III on his DC (even after reflashing the Dreampi with 1.8 DLE). We used a Web Browser 1.0 disc to flash the ISP (as recommended here: https://dreamcastlive.net/troubleshooting/), but still have no luck.

We tried inputting the following in Quake III and get the "Server Failure" message:
Telephone: 111-1111
USER ID: dream
Password: dreamcast
DNS (primary): 0.0.0.0
DNS (secondary): 0.0.0.0

Strangely, when he tries to connect to PSO, he appears online on Dreamcast Now, but he cannot actually to connect Slyverant. Driving Strikers he was able to get to the match list, but was not able to connect to a lobby.

I am at a loss as to how to help him. Any help would be appreciated.

Rasputin3000
shadow

Post#8 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:03 pm

So we were able to get past this issue using a Dreamcast Flash Memory Eraser disc (link: https://dreamcast.wiki/Flash_Memory_Eraser), then setting up the online settings with XDP Web Browser (link: https://dreamcastlive.net/downloads/) following this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2BxI3q ... OtakuGames

Hope anyone else stumbling upon this post will find this helpful.