Our Fragile Little Paradise (DC Talk and DC Now)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Our Fragile Little Paradise (DC Talk and DC Now)

Post#1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:00 am

The recent DC Talk server outage got me to thinking about how fragile our online Dreamcast setup is. I mean, if Dreamcast Talk or Dreamcast Now permanently disappeared, what would be required to rebuild the online scene without it / them? Yes, there are other Web sites about playing Dreamcast games online, and there are others running game servers. Yet DC Talk is like the de facto standard for discussing, organizing, and playing online, and I think we all know how crucial Dreamcast Now is.

How important is Dreamcast Talk and DC Now in this grand scheme and what would be required if we ever had to replace them? Should we have fallbacks at secondary domain names running on different servers?

Xiden
Developer

Re: Our Fragile Little Paradise (DC Talk and DC Now)

Post#2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:48 am

Nz17 wrote:The recent DC Talk server outage got me to thinking about how fragile our online Dreamcast setup is. I mean, if Dreamcast Talk or Dreamcast Now permanently disappeared, what would be required to rebuild the online scene without it / them? Yes, there are other Web sites about playing Dreamcast games online, and there are others running game servers. Yet DC Talk is like the de facto standard for discussing, organizing, and playing online, and I think we all know how crucial Dreamcast Now is.

How important is Dreamcast Talk and DC Now in this grand scheme and what would be required if we ever had to replace them? Should we have fallbacks at secondary domain names running on different servers?

If it goes down we have dreamcastlive.net as a back up site. As well as dctalk skype chat and discord. Also Shus amazing servers are available to download on dreamcastlive as well :)

Having said all that it would nicre to have secondary master servers incase primary ones are down. Thats something that can likely be coordinated down the road