Newbie DMZ question...

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!

Newbie DMZ question...

Post#1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:35 pm

1) I traded an Xbox 360 HD DVD drive, an Xbox copy of Outlaw Golf 2, both of which Iv had second copies of, and Lode Runner 64 for as homemade dreampi. Is that a good deal?

2) i was able to connect to the website and dial in, but connecting to a game is hard. I get thrown off an Alien front onbline room when selecting vehicles.

a) the set-up video says to use 0.0.0.0 as the dns, but the dreamcast-talk website says to use a specific other DNS, whic i Typed in. Why doesn't the tutorial video refer to this DNS?

b) it says to use a DMZ for the dreampi. Is this necessary if the security port setting is set to zero-security, (which i only recommend f you own a Mac, gaming consoles, Dish, and blu ray player, so no, i'm not living dangerously. :) )

c) I'm still getting errors. help?!

Xiden
Developer

Re: Newbie DMZ question...

Post#2 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:35 pm

tripletopper wrote:1) I traded an Xbox 360 HD DVD drive, an Xbox copy of Outlaw Golf 2, both of which Iv had second copies of, and Lode Runner 64 for as homemade dreampi. Is that a good deal?

2) i was able to connect to the website and dial in, but connecting to a game is hard. I get thrown off an Alien front onbline room when selecting vehicles.

a) the set-up video says to use 0.0.0.0 as the dns, but the dreamcast-talk website says to use a specific other DNS, whic i Typed in. Why doesn't the tutorial video refer to this DNS?

b) it says to use a DMZ for the dreampi. Is this necessary if the security port setting is set to zero-security, (which i only recommend f you own a Mac, gaming consoles, Dish, and blu ray player, so no, i'm not living dangerously. :) )

c) I'm still getting errors. help?!

DMZ or port fowarding is required for most games.

DMZ is a router setting. You will need to log into your router and enable DMZ for your Dreamcasts IP address, this is usually either 192.168.1.98 or 192.168.0.98 for most people. DMZ settings should be under WAN settings on your router.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:16 am

I always need UGB's tutorial on the ISP setup. (Skip to 20:00) except you would fake a seven-digit number 111-1111

Connecting to Quake 3 briefly tells you your Dreamcast's IP! Then put your gateway IP (your router's IP) into your web browser and check around for DMZ feature!

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#4 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Xiden wrote:
DMZ or port fowarding is required for most games.

DMZ is a router setting. You will need to log into your router and enable DMZ for your Dreamcasts IP address, this is usually either 192.168.1.98 or 192.168.0.98 for most people. DMZ settings should be under WAN settings on your router.

I heard DMZs were for establishing one device, out of a network of many, to have no port restrictions, where other devices have port restricitons.

Is that correct?

Is it true that if your router’s firewall is set to allow all traffic on all devices (meaning zero security), you don't need a DMZ?

If that’s false, I set my Dreampi to DMZ and it still doesn’t work? I kind of remember something about a Static NAT and DMZ setting being mixed up on my router, and they never corrected it with updates to the firmware.

It may have something to do with Frontier’s specific DSL router.

What I know is zero security, no DMZ doesn’t work. And no security with "supposed DMZ" set to Dreampi doesn’t work either.

And I type in 111-1111 as my dial in number.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#5 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm

dmz the dreamcast.. not the pi...

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#6 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Okay, that makes sense. How do I check the IP Address of the Dreamcast? I have Planet Web web browsers from ODCM. It’s probably the first 3 digits of my router then a .98. IS that the one?

But on my DMZ list, I don’t See IP numbers on my list, I see only MAC addresses. How do I tell what MAC address is my Dreamcast to DMZ.

Also is DMZing really necessary if the router is set to no security, aka no default closed ports? My setting is no firewall, a luxury I can afford to have with all my devices not being a PC.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#7 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:32 pm

reread xidens post in this thread..

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:33 pm

tripletopper wrote:Okay, that makes sense. How do I check the IP Address of the Dreamcast? I have Planet Web web browsers from ODCM. It’s probably the first 3 digits of my router then a .98. IS that the one?

But on my DMZ list, I don’t See IP numbers on my list, I see only MAC addresses. How do I tell what MAC address is my Dreamcast to DMZ.

Also is DMZing really necessary if the router is set to no security, aka no default closed ports? My setting is no firewall, a luxury I can afford to have with all my devices not being a PC.

Yes DMZ Is required, even with no security. Are you not able to enter what ever IP Address you want for DMZ? You can also connect to Quake 3 without DMZ and it will display your Dreamcasts IP Address on the last screen of the connection.

If you cannot enter an IP, then connect to a web browser with your PI. and see if a new MAC address pops up when you do. You'll DMZ of course that MAC address.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#9 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:43 pm

I don’t have Quake 3.

Also the DMZ asks for the MAC address, not the IP address to DMZ. How do I find the Mac address of my Dreamcast, not the IP Address?

Also there might be an issue with a ISP confusion between DMZ and Static IP confusion. I’ll contact Frontier and try to figure it out.

Xiden
Developer

Post#10 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm

tripletopper wrote:I don’t have Quake 3.

Also the DMZ asks for the MAC address, not the IP address to DMZ. How do I find the Mac address of my Dreamcast, not the IP Address?

Also there might be an issue with a ISP confusion between DMZ and Static IP confusion. I’ll contact Frontier and try to figure it out.

You'll just have to test each MAC Address then until you find the correct one. Or connect to the internet with a browser disc and see if a new MAC address pops up your DMZ list. That's about all the advice I have.