Newbie DMZ question...

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!

Re: Newbie DMZ question...

Post#21 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:58 pm

Okay, can you explain what LVI is exactly, and if there’s anything someone who is not comfortable with dissecting electronics, like myself, can do about it.

The most adventurous I got was Flashback modding an Intellivision 1, and repairing potentiometers on Atari 2600 and Astrocade controllers by opening it, pouring in 91% isopropylhol (not the 70% kind with medical herbs, the 91% with water as the only other ingredient), turning the knob a few times and reassembling, both with 100% success, and having questionable results with fixing the buttons of a Colecovision Super Action Controller. I never held a soldering gun, and I don’t understand electrical diagrams.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#22 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:01 pm

And if you don’t think I can do it, can you give detailed enough instructions where a local TV repairman can handle it, so I can point him to this page and ask him if he can do it.

Xiden
Developer

Post#23 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm

LVI = Line Voltage Inducer. You have a few options.

Build your own, info here
https://youtu.be/aY7jjxPXd_8

Buy a premade one built into the modem(Recommended)
http://www.dreamcastlive.net/shop

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#24 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Does my dreampi have it included by default? If you want I can send some pictures of it so you can tell.

If it doesn’t, is it as simple as swapping out the old modem and swapping in the new that can be bought at your second link?

If it does, and needs repair, is the part that needs replacing a simple swap out and in, or is it so integrated that I have to put it under the knife with a soldering gun?

Xiden
Developer

Post#25 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:31 pm

tripletopper wrote:Does my dreampi have it included by default? If you want I can send some pictures of it so you can tell.

If it doesn’t, is it as simple as swapping out the old modem and swapping in the new that can be bought at your second link?

If it does, and needs repair, is the part that needs replacing a simple swap out and in, or is it so integrated that I have to put it under the knife with a soldering gun?

If you are able to get online with your modem, then its likely built in. You might send a PM to pcwzrd13, he could likely repair it (or at least examine it)

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#26 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:23 am

PCWzrd13 says most likely my issue is with using a gateway and trying to DMZ on that same combo router/modem. He (I'll assume PCWzrd13 is a he until I hear otherwise) said the best solution is a separate Modem and router. You can et any kind of router, but the modem must work with your ISP.

Hidden is the runaround I made to get to asking you guys:

► Show Spoiler

The I asked if a gateway can be put in pure modem mode. And best buy said talk to your ISP. Then I talked to ISP tech, and asked if a gateway can be switched into Modem Mode, and they said, in theory you can add extra routers to your network and in theory have 2 sources of wifi. So I can have an N that runs through the house, and a G which is closer to my bedroom for 3DS online moments, because the 3DS only runs on G.

I also have a Dynex 5 port ethernet hub. I don't know if ethernet hub is another world for Wired Router. I suspect it might be because you have to power it on to work.

Another piece of equipment I have is a Gamestop Ethernet/Component Video switcher. There's no electronics, no electricity needed, just press a button and it cuts one off and puts another on.

I suspect the Gamestop one is a Ethernet Switch and not a router, but the Dynex, if I understand it, is a wired router. If that's the case, and what my iSP said is true, then I can put my Dynex behind the gateway, and DMZ the Dynex for the DreamPi, while I put a new router upstairs where my Dynex was, wire in ethernet, and turn on a second G Radio closer to my bed.

Most people don't recommend the router behind a gateway setup. If what I suspect is right, the reason why you don't suggest doing that is irrelevant to me.

Most time when you DMZ something, the other parts of the network are secure. And if you have a PC in the house, you must secure your PC. Unfortunately for multi-console gamers, only one thing can be DMZed.

But all my internet equipment are Game consoles, my Dreeampi, 2 Macs, Dish network, and a networked 4K/3D Blu Ray Player. That's nothing that requires security. If you define the "front" as the closest to the internet source (in my case the main DSL connection) then if the front router has no DMZ, (or I could DMZ it to the back router, I don't know which) and then DMZ my back router to the DreamPi, since the whole path is DMZed, and there's no security elsewhere, none of my traffic is restricted, and the DMZ requirement for the DreamPI MIGHT be fulfilled, it might work. I don't know i the major reason for multi-router fails is security, but if it is, it might work.

Also one other thing, if you own one or more PCs, maybe a "localized firewall" behind the main source and in front of the PC might work. That way you can protect your PC while leaving the rest of your network open for gaming. If that works, that would be the only way I'd consider using Boot Camp to get Windows on a Mac.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#27 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:29 am

Maybe I'm misusing the spoiler tag to hide extra information that might bore some people who want "Just the Facts Ma'm", but how does one reveal a spoiler? Or is there a "details" tag that's collapsable? Maybe I'm using the wrong thing. Help here.