Need a PAL USB Line Voltage Inducer

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mikeyp
shadow

Need a PAL USB Line Voltage Inducer

Post#1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:23 am

Hi all, I'm new to the Dreamcast. My wife has kindly got me one for Christmas this year. I really missed out on it growing up. I obviously want to get online. I have a raspberry pi, a US Robotics serial modem coupled with a USB-Serial adapter seems to work nicely with dreampi. Only thing I need now is a line voltage inducer. Obviously I could build the battery one but would prefer a USB solution. I emailed the Dreamcast Live shop but have had no reply.

Would building the battery-style inducer but replacing the battery with this connected to USB do the job? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181898976057

Equally does anyone in the UK supply them for PAL Dreamcasts?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Need a PAL USB Line Voltage Inducer

Post#2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 am

Just replied to your email. It went in the SPAM folder for some reason. Sorry about that.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Bring
dark night

Post#3 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:52 am

!!!Warning!!! Thread Jack !!!Warning!!!

Should all Serial Voice Modems work with DreamPi (off the Bat)?

TIA.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:33 pm

Bring wrote:Should all Serial Voice Modems work with DreamPi (off the Bat)?

Oh yeah. I was going to mention that but forgot. It could very well work without a LVI. @mikeyp You might want to check first.
PSO Characters:

Bring
dark night

Post#5 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:02 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Bring wrote:Should all Serial Voice Modems work with DreamPi (off the Bat)?

Oh yeah. I was going to mention that but forgot. It could very well work without a LVI. @mikeyp You might want to check first.

I Meant Should the DreamPi Code recognize all Serial Voice Modems (like it recognizes the Dell modem)? and is it worth me upgrading my Cheap As USB Serial adapter? :D

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Bring wrote:I Meant Should the DreamPi Code recognize all Serial Voice Modems (like it recognizes the Dell modem)?

Oh I have no idea. lol
PSO Characters:

mikeyp
shadow

Post#7 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:13 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Just replied to your email. It went in the SPAM folder for some reason. Sorry about that.

Ah, no worries. Would you mind emailing the email header from the original email so I can see if there's any clue as to why it ended up in the spam folder please?
Bring wrote:!!!Warning!!! Thread Jack !!!Warning!!!

Should all Serial Voice Modems work with DreamPi (off the Bat)?

TIA.

Supposedly DreamPi supports them. This post references them.
http://blog.kazade.co.uk/2016/12/dreamp ... eased.html

Also this page has this comment:
http://blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html ... 0329458054

So essentially the Dell modem acts like a USB-Serial modem. It's just the one that's confirmed to work.
pcwzrd13 wrote:Oh yeah. I was going to mention that but forgot. It could very well work without a LVI. @mikeyp You might want to check first.

Hmm. Might hold off ordering then. Is it the DreamPi modem or the console modem that requires the LVI? If it's the console, then I will still need it I should think. The USR modem is wall powered anyway but again I don't know if it needs the LVI or not.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:28 pm

mikeyp wrote:Is it the DreamPi modem or the console modem that requires the LVI?

Both. Yeah, I forgot about the fact that you're using a PAL Dreamcast. You'll probably need it either way then.
PSO Characters:

kazade
Developer

Post#9 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi! So I'll try to answer a bit about serial modems...

Both serial and usb modems use the same command set for controlling them, and indeed the DreamPi uses a serial connection to talk to the modem.

The main difference is to do with baud speeds. True serial modems communicate and different speeds to USB ones, and although I've repeatedly tried to reliably detect the speed it's never really worked great; I always fix one set of modems and break another.

Because of that, the speeds the DreamPi communicates at are tweaked for the common USB modem, but that's not to say it won't work with a serial one, or that if it didn't out of the box, you couldn't tweak the value to make it do so.

mikeyp
shadow

Post#10 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:13 pm

How would we know? Would it fail to initialise completely or would it have communication issues once connected? The light on the USR modem comes on once the daemon has started.