Mousepad for DC mouse?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

TheMadPolarBear
shadow

Mousepad for DC mouse?

Post#1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for what mousepad to get for the DC mouse? I've been having issues with my mouse not tracking correctly with left and right movement so I'm curious to see what you all use with your DC mouse.

Thanks all!
Online games - Quake 3 Arena, PSOv2, Worms World Party

Mechanic
Vagabond

Re: Mousepad for DC mouse?

Post#2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Any pc mouse pad should work. Problem is with ur mouse. Usually dirt in the rollers cause it but you may have a flat spot.
I'm sure u tried adjusting sensitivity. Albush mentioned a optical mouse adapter for the dc. Looks like his works well lol . Optical is superior
Italian Stallion

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:02 pm

I had my mouse for YEARS before I discovered that there was a little optical "eye" that was near one of the rollers that looks at the wheels around the ball. I had to pull mine back just a slight 1 or 2mm back until it was completely upright. After I did this my Dreamcast mouse worked perfectly. Before the fix it was having issues moving left and right I believe. Been a few years since I fixed it so could be mistaken if it was left or right or up and down movement that was the issue. Also look into cleaning the mouse ball and rollers.

TheMadPolarBear
shadow

Post#4 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Thanks for the advice all.

So the cleaning made no difference as I'd done this multiple times with alcohol but I did it again regardless.

However, I decided to take a risk. The roller mechanisms have a small LED, which I assume is a sensor to detect when the roller moves. The one which detects horizontal movement was bent back, close to a 45 degree angle unlike the one by the vertical roller, which was standing almost straight up and has no issues with movement. I bent the horizontal sensor closer to an upright position to match the vertical sensor and surprisingly this actually worked, so far the movement in the mouse works great now!

I'm glad to hear that I can use any mousepad with roller mouse, I have not used one in decades and I remember vaguely that the mousepad I used to use back in the day wasn't fabric and had some material on it that the early optical mice hated. In that case, as a precaution and so I can claim my throne as Q3A champion, I shall clean my regular gaming mousepad in preparation for Q3A night tomorrow.

Thanks again! Looking forward to Q3A Friday night!
Online games - Quake 3 Arena, PSOv2, Worms World Party

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 pm

That sensor was exactly what I was talking about I had to fix on mine by bending it upright more. I figured this was the same issue I was having all those years ago. Glad you were able to use my experience to fix it!

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#6 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:25 pm

its all fine and dandy until the dead skin flakes build up on the rollers...

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Except mine came new in box with that defect. It actually had noting to do with dead skin cell build up and everything to do with the sensor being out of place to properly detect the rolling of the internal wheels. I just hope Retro-Bit hears my pleas to manufacture a brand new mouse for the DC that is optical. I mean it wouldn't be tons of work for them to engineer one using the same official mouse molds, but honestly I would prefer a USB adapter specifically made for DC so we could use our own mechanical keyboard and mice.

I have a pretty awesome Logitech G9X which is my favorite gaming mouse of all time. Would be fun to use it on DC, but if they can make a direct plug and play optical mouse with official molds I am down for that too. :)

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#8 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 pm

if you use it.. its gonna get dead skin flakes on the rollers

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#9 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Once again optical mice are just superior. Don't get stuck with an old roller mouse

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#10 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:10 pm

or keep the rollers clean..