DreamPi, PSO, disconnection and lost save file

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

alix
shadow

DreamPi, PSO, disconnection and lost save file

Post#1 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:25 am

Dear all,

I am completely new to the world of PSO (and to this forum). I am based in the UK and I need your help :)

I started playing the game offline a week ago and built up a character to level 10.

Yesterday I received the last bit of hardware I needed to connect my Dreamcast to the internet via DreamPi, and so tried to play online.

It started well, I connected first time and accessed the lobby... there wasn't many people there, but I was just happy taking a tour :) I got disconnected a couple of times but didn't think much of it. The screen froze once as well (as in the game was still running, but I couldn't see my character and none of the buttons on the controller did anything), but again I got disconnected "cleanly", i.e. after a while it saved and took me back to the main menu.

But then I realised my character had been corrupted :( the name is blank, it looks completely different (like a fat Kim Jong Un in a red outfit) some of the attributes have been lost, other have been maxed (I am level 200!). Some of my objects have been lost etc... i can still load the file and play, but really I want to start again.

So my questions:
- Why am I getting disconnected? what are the common pitfalls? I have included my exact config below.
- Has anyone ever experienced this kind of save file loss? It is quite catastrophic really, imagine it happening after months of levelling up. Any way to avoid this? Can I back the file up?
- Someone on Facebook has told be that using the "IVES PSOv2" build of the game might help... what do you think?

My set-up:
- Pal Dreamcast
- Pal copy of PSO ver. 2
- I use the Sylverant PSO Patcher 2.0 to boot, then swap for the PSO disk.
- NTSC-J Dreamcast modem (so that it take 9v line inducing, the PAL ones want 18v)
- Standard phone cable
- Dreamcast Live USB Modem, with integrated line voltage inducer. (bought from the Dreamcast Live shop)
- Rasberry Pi 3 + latest DreamPi software
- Wired (Ethernet) connection that goes through a mini switch and then a power socket Ethernet adapter, and finally into a broadband modem
- an official VMU, bought of eBay for the occasion and so being used for the first time.

I hope you can provide some assistance. I was absolutely gutted when I lost the character, I have been so excited to play PSO!

Thanks for reading my long message :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: DreamPi, PSO, disconnection and lost save file

Post#2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 am

So looking at your setup, I made a couple observations. First off, you don't need the Sylverant PSO Patcher for the PAL version of PSO. It's only for the NTSC version which has the Hunter's License check which needs to be bypassed.

Second, I'm guessing the powerline Ethernet adapter is causing your disconnects. They're known to be unreliable (even worse than Wi-Fi) and having them randomly lose connection isn't uncommon. You might not notice it with most devices but since you're simulating a dial-up connection for the Dreamcast, even a 1-second drop in the connection would cause a complete disconnect.

Finally, there are several ways to back up your PSO character but the easiest would be to use the server backup feature. I have instructions here.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

alix
shadow

Post#3 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:12 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

I will try a long Ethernet cable directly from my router into my Pi tonight, and see if it makes a difference.

Also I will start a new character and try to save it to the server... I didn't know you could do that! What is a "guildcard" though? Do I have one in my full copy of PSO? I am at work and so not able to look in the box. I do have my Serial Number and Access Key obviously.

Thanks!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:20 am

alix wrote:What is a "guildcard" though?

It's a number that's given to your character. You can exchange guild cards with people when you're online which is like "adding a friend".
PSO Characters:

alix
shadow

Post#5 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:25 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
alix wrote:What is a "guildcard" though?

It's a number that's given to your character. You can exchange guild cards with people when you're online which is like "adding a friend".

That makes sense, I will try all this tonight, thanks again! :)

Kobra Kai
lithium

Post#6 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:33 am

Only thing i can think of would be your japanese modem with 9v.
Try the standard uk modem with 18v .
I use 2 9v batteries

Think i played with you or tried to.
Im from the UK also and will play with you heaps ;)
Keep posting here if you run into more troubles.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#7 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:47 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:So looking at your setup, I made a couple observations. First off, you don't need the Sylverant PSO Patcher for the PAL version of PSO. It's only for the NTSC version which has the Hunter's License check which needs to be bypassed.
You don't have to use my patcher disc with the European version, but it still isn't a bad idea to do so, since there are other patches that it applies (including the Ultimate mode mapfix patch). It certainly won't cause any disconnection issues on its own though. Using Ives disc won't fix any disconnects either. Just to clarify that, since it was brought up in the original post in the thread. ;)

Second, I'm guessing the powerline Ethernet adapter is causing your disconnects. They're known to be unreliable (even worse than Wi-Fi) and having them randomly lose connection isn't uncommon. You might not notice it with most devices but since you're simulating a dial-up connection for the Dreamcast, even a 1-second drop in the connection would cause a complete disconnect.
That is what my suspicion would be as well. The networking code in PSO is very picky and does have some odd quirks. It's very possible that using one of those powerline adapters would cause problems.

Anyhow, best of luck in getting everything setup to alix, and welcome to the Sylverant server. :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:09 pm

BlueCrab wrote:You don't have to use my patcher disc with the European version, but it still isn't a bad idea to do so, since there are other patches that it applies (including the Ultimate mode mapfix patch).

Ah yes. That's true. I forgot about the other fixes.
PSO Characters:

alix
shadow

Post#9 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Kobra Kai wrote:Only thing i can think of would be your japanese modem with 9v.
Try the standard uk modem with 18v .
I use 2 9v batteries

Think i played with you or tried to.
Im from the UK also and will play with you heaps ;)
Keep posting here if you run into more troubles.

Hiya :)

Yeah but I have bought a USB modem to provides 9v on the line AND a NTSC-J modem that expects 9v so it should work.

Sorry if I ignored you, i was struggling ! I will try to connect again tonight and do more testing !

alix
shadow

Post#10 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:19 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Finally, there are several ways to back up your PSO character but the easiest would be to use the server backup feature. I have instructions here.

On more question regarding this.

On the page where you can register characters to be backed up, it says : "If you have already been on the server with this copy of the game, please use this alternate form to register your serial number and access key."

I have used a character on the server already, but it's the one that got corrupt. Do I still need to register with the Guildcard Number of my corrupt character?