Dreamcast Modem Adapter with built-in DreamPi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Jinx
Doom

Dreamcast Modem Adapter with built-in DreamPi

Post#1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Hiya!

My bf and I have been working on a little project to fit a working DreamPi with the USB modem and line voltage inducer all into the original Dreamcast Modem Adapter. I say "we", but this was mostly his project as I have very little experience with soldering and such things. This project was just for fun and we're always brainstorming ways to improve it.

It's still a WIP, but we tried to make it as convenient as possible. He has the Pi Zero W near the old RJ11 port opening, making it easy to remove the MicroSD card if needed. It's also been configured to automatically switch to an ad-hoc mode if it doesn't detect WiFi after a certain period of time. This allows you to connect to it directly and configure it either over SSH or a web interface.

So far everything has been working pretty good. It gets its power from the extension port, the temperature seems to level out around 50°C, and I had no issues getting connected to PSOv2. I'm not sure if he'll join the forums, but if he does, I'll have him post more specific details. Everything is quite snug as it is, so I'm certain there are ways we can make this thing even better.

Ad-Hoc Connection:

Interface for WiFi Configuration:

It's alive!!! **aheam** I mean... It works!
ImageImage

peanut_unlimited
lithium

Re: Dreamcast Modem Adapter with built-in DreamPi

Post#2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:10 am

That looks awesome :) Nice work, have always wanted to replicate something like this if I ever get the time haha. Look foward to seeing more about it.

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:29 am

Nice work!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:42 am

Wow impressive. I remember seeing similar projects but nothing really built directly inside the actual modem.

Ask him if we could please get some better pictures of the internals, and if you can convince him to stop in and register. It is like a huge family here lots of long time members.

Jinx
Doom

Post#5 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:49 am

Thank you for the kind comments!

We plan on taking what we've learned from this project and use it to improve the next one. Even though it is removable, the primary system that I use is black, so we'll be putting together a matching adapter for that unit as well. I'll have him take some pics along the way so it's easier to show what he did and how he managed to get it to fit.
ImageImage

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 pm

Awesome thank you!

Padre
photon blast

Post#7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Wow! Amazing project and fantastic idea! :)

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#8 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:14 pm

tutorial please

really cool stuff
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

kazade
Developer

Post#9 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:39 am

That's really impressive! Nice work!

toto99303
noob

Post#10 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:53 am

I did the same on mine and I'm very happy with it. I just implanted the dc-dc step-up board inside the Dreamcast and the rest is in the modem case. Also drilled a lot of holes on the bottom of it so it get's cooled better. All wifi now and no wires behind the DC :)