Raspberry ON or OFF?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SparxsteR
undertow

Raspberry ON or OFF?

Post#1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:49 pm

I got my Pi setup ready for play today, and its the first time i use a pi.
The question i have is. WHY ohh WHY is there no power button on the unit? :(

I dosent feel good to unplugg the powercord everytime, or is it safe to have the pi on 24/7?

Anyways, there was no players online to challange me on chu chu or planet ring. When do you guys play?
Have you guys seen the Dreamcast 2?

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Raspberry ON or OFF?

Post#2 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:25 pm

i just unplug it after use.. but you could get a usb KB and log it off "properly" if you wanted to..

I would look and comment in the chat box here on the main page of DC-Talk if youre looking for a game.. there is also a discord linked at the top of the page...

thecodygriffin
undertow

Post#3 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 pm

I leave my Pi on 24/7. The power draw is almost nothing and I haven’t had any issues with the modem connecting. I must note that the cadence at which I get online is sporadic. I will do so a handful of times over a few days, then go a month without attempting to connect again, and repeat.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:22 pm

I bought an inline power switch. That's what I use
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#5 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:26 pm

I agree, I hated to leave my Pi on and because I have all my wires in the wall and the Pi is in another room, I didn't want to have to go in the other room an unplug it all the time.

Solution... "Smart" Power Strip. The one I purchased below, recognizes the Dreamcast draw and will either turn on the Pi o off depending on the state of the Dreamcast.

https://www.amazon.com/TrickleStar-Outl ... ref=plSrch

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#6 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 pm

that is an amazing power strip. This would also be nice to the vga to hdmi adapter.

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#7 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Got a power strip as well and plug everything DC on it. 1 on off switch for everything :)
Italian Stallion

thecodygriffin
undertow

Post#8 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:54 am

My new solution to this problem is the MEGAPi CASE from RetroFlag: http://retroflag.com/MEGAPi-CASE-M.html. It only costs $25 with free shipping from Amazon and works great once you have the Safe Shutdown and Safe Reset setup correctly.

To get those Safe Shutdown and Safe Reset features up and running on DreamPi, you need to do the following.

1. SSH into your DreamPi (or connect it up to a monitor with a keyboard and login to the pi account)

2. Follow the directions for RetroPie as documented on their GitHub page: https://github.com/RetroFlag/retroflag-picase

3. Once DreamPi reboots, from the raspi-config, set the [3] Boot Options to [2] automatically login as the pi user to the command line

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config

4. Navigate to /opt/RetroFlag and edit the SafeShutdown.py file

cd /opt/RetroFlag

sudo nano Safeshutdown.py

5. change line 19 from

os.system("sudo killall emulationstation && sleep 5s && sudo shutdown -h now")

to

os.system("sudo shutdown -h now")

6. change line 23 from

os.system("sudo killall emulationstation && sleep 5s && sudo reboot")

to

os.system("sudo reboot")

7. remove any extra spaces after any line in the SafeShutdown.py file
For whatever reason, when I left these spaces in, the script would not work and the buttons on my MEGAPi CASE would result in a hard shutdown or reset.

8. re-run the Safe Shutdown installation by executing

wget -O - "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RetroFlag/retroflag-picase/master/install.sh" | sudo bash

After rebooting, you should find that the pi user is automatically logged in and that once you flip the switch to "Off", the LED on the MEGAPi CASE will start blinking and the shutdown sequence for the DreamPi will start or once you hit the reset button, the reboot sequence for the DreamPi will start.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#9 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:12 pm

i leave mine on for months at a time. no worries.

but if you insist on shutting down, look up SSH + raspberry pi then when you get that type "sudo shutdown -t 0" and it will SAFELY shut down.

ClackAttack
noob

Post#10 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:54 am

So you can also have an OS installed on the sd card that has all the dreampi software on it as well? Im a little ignorant about the Pi platform