Monaco GP shortcuts

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Mechanic
Vagabond

Monaco GP shortcuts

Post#1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:09 am

Just curious here if shortcutting is considered unsportsman like conduct in this game. I only do it to stay in the race lol and i see others do it. Curous on the gerneral consenses here. I'm sure to get those board times some shortcutting is involved lol
Italian Stallion

DreamcastUK
brutal

Re: Monaco GP shortcuts

Post#2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:18 am

I think it is.
Just takes the fun out of it when you see someone cutting the corners and then hitting you off when they’ve bumped into you from nowhere.

But that’s just me, I’m a Racer and would beat anyone at a normal race! Ha! Bring it on

https://youtu.be/CO6h5-XpKPE
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

moi
blackout!

Post#3 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:38 am

IMHO if the game developers didn't care why should the players. You can't see other players replays and there is no effective mechanism to detect nor to pevent "malicious" intent either.
In some tracks such as Italy or Germany there are small spots that players might be using unintentionally by overspeeding or not breaking on time . In real F1 races if something like this happens the drivers try to reverse gained time advantage by getting slower again, otherwise they are getting punished by race organizers. There's no way anything like that could ever happen in Monaco Online.

Aside from obvious huge spots in UK, Australia and Brazil tracks, corner cutting won't get you all that huge advantage anyways.

I'd say let's create a poll and see where consensus is on that matter. Make it a "Yes or No" one, since it's due to the "unsure/don't care" cases the question repeatedly arises in the first place :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:43 am

I only cut some corners because I can't react fast enough to take them. :lol: IMO if you're playing arcade mode, it's perfectly acceptable. That's why your speed doesn't decrease that much when going over grass or dirt. If you switch to simulation mode, you're slowed down significantly when going over grass or dirt so there's a huge penalty for doing so.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#5 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Good points guys. i guess that is why there is sim mode and arcade mode
Italian Stallion

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:08 am

Shortcuts sux. End. Hahahhaahh.
POD2 is a Monaco Port with more shortcuts and less tracks. Hahhahah

I dont mind, for now, sometimes i won not making shortcuts. Funny challenge XD
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Vill22
core

Post#7 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:39 am

I'd rather not shortcut, but all of the best lap and race times from the Leaderboards were set via shortcuts. So, if you want to go for records, you've got no choice - which is why I cut corners.

I think as long as everyone agrees if you are or aren't going to shortcut in the lobby before you race, that's all that matters.

I've also asked Shu if we can have Sim Leaderboards, which will mean shortcuts are impossible, so that could be awesome. I need to run some tests for him to see if the logs store the Sim times.

Vill22
core

Post#8 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 am

DreamcastUK wrote:would beat anyone at a normal race!

Sounds like a challenge. I'll be on tonight before/after the 4x4 Evo session!

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#9 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:12 am

I can see short cutting in champ mode being an issue due to rankings and maybe talk about it in lobby before race starts . Single arcade mode races are basically for people like myself who want an occasional race for fun so cutting shouldnt be a big deal since they dont count. anyways . This takes me back to Moi's post. If the develepers don't care why should we? i'm thinking sim mode was made for exactly this reason but you need nervs of steel the play sim mode lol.
Italian Stallion

Vill22
core

Post#10 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 am

At the end of the day, we're all playing our Dreamcast's in 2018 for fun. As I said before, as long as everyone agrees in the lobby pre-race what the rules of engagement are, let's just enjoy being online in this fantastic game!