Quake dreampi features added

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Quake dreampi features added

Post#41 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Wow another port of Quake? Awesome! Would love to see some video of the beta if possible?

Here ya go: https://twitter.com/pcwzrd13/status/988131444215214080

Awesome thanks for the video footage buddy. :)

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#42 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:11 pm

Shuouma's the good kind of madman.

moi
blackout!

Post#43 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Wow another port of Quake? Awesome! Would love to see some video of the beta if possible?

Awesome, thanks!
Is it online already? How many players are supported without too much lag?

PS: That map reminds me of the first custom Q3 map I ever got to run!

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#44 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:51 am

moi wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:

Awesome, thanks!
Is it online already? How many players are supported without too much lag?

PS: That map reminds me of the first custom Q3 map I ever got to run!

it seems not too many people understand so i'll just put it into perspective

there are currently 342 servers online for quakeworld https://www.quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/so=8/

shu's port is essentially a 1:1 of quakeworld for PC, its almost literally the same client combined with the steam release

i found this today, its a windows desktop app that is essentially a server browser for quakeworld with support for multiple masterlists and groups for each masterlist. so you can have a pc modded servers in one master list and a dreamcast masterlist in one group. since the beta was announced everyone should download this and configure it
http://www.quaketerminus.com/servers/qview50.zip

this app also allows exported settings so there can be an updatable\maintainable configuration file for dreamcast

tl;dr the servers are always rocking. i don't want to spill any beans so all i'll say is its fucking awesome

edit: moi i forgot to say, it looks like nobody will know how many players it can take until we have that many lol (cool)
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

mankrip
shadow

Post#45 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:45 am

Shuouma wrote:due to the nature of old Q1, the online
was really bad regarding lag. So I have now ported QuakeWorld
instead to the DC.

Will you also release your Makaqu version?

I have no interest in QuakeWorld, specially vanilla QuakeWorld. There are people with massive knowledge of Quake network protocols, and some of them created normal Quake engines with improved network protocols, also merging QuakeWorld protocol features into normal Quake.

Implementing a better, more modern and optimized network protocol in Makaqu would take far less work than implementing all of the improvements of Makaqu in QuakeWorld and making QuakeWorld support single player games.

Vanilla QuakeWorld has none of the improvements of Makaqu, and can't run single player games. Sure, it can run some multiplayer mods designed for QW, but that's it.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#46 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:39 am

mankrip wrote:
Shuouma wrote:due to the nature of old Q1, the online
was really bad regarding lag. So I have now ported QuakeWorld
instead to the DC.

Will you also release your Makaqu version?

I have no interest in QuakeWorld, specially vanilla QuakeWorld. There are people with massive knowledge of Quake network protocols, and some of them created normal Quake engines with improved network protocols, also merging QuakeWorld protocol features into normal Quake.

Implementing a better, more modern and optimized network protocol in Makaqu would take far less work than implementing all of the improvements of Makaqu in QuakeWorld and making QuakeWorld support single player games.

Vanilla QuakeWorld has none of the improvements of Makaqu, and can't run single player games. Sure, it can run some multiplayer mods designed for QW, but that's it.

i think the interest, at least on these boards, will be the fact that a lot of people still play quakeworld on a daily basis. and there's hundreds of people in quakeworld and qw team fortress discord servers. it will mutually benefit both dc and qw communities in terms of active player population. if we have a quakeworld night and get 6 or 7 people, PC players can see and the servers will be lit

if somebody wants to play singleplayer quake, your makaqu engine is available

i've tried the beta, and i don't want to spill any beans, but performance is GREAT both network and graphics performance. it was 3am-4am on a deathmatch server, and PC players were coming and going

Sure, it can run some multiplayer mods designed for QW, but that's it.

that's precisely the point, i've never seen this complaint anywhere. between coop, deathmatch, and team fortress we essentially get 3 new games in one, and then there's other mods. as i try to reply to your post i understand it less and less

tl;dr quakeworld is going to be fucking awesome
ImageImage
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

moi
blackout!

Post#47 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:i think the interest, at least on these boards, will be the fact that a lot of people still play quakeworld on a daily basis.

Lol. Since you were repeatedly replying to questions originally directed at Shou's and PCWzrd's at first I thought you were their spokesman.
You should have mentioned before that you were beta testing the game. I would have asked you instead. :D

i've tried the beta, and i don't want to spill any beans, but performance is GREAT both network and graphics performance.

Sounds very exciting, but kinda vague! How many players were playing?
How many PC payers? How many DC players? Were there mixed games? What are the ping times? On what devices? European DCs only have 33k modems. Since you are from US you are on 56k right? Were you using keyboard and mouse or the controller?

Sure, it can run some multiplayer mods designed for QW, but that's it.

that's precisely the point, i've never seen this complaint anywhere.

Doesn't sound like a complaint to me. More like some wise advices in order to get an even GREATER end product with more features, better performance and better stability.
Heck, look at Makaqu's changelog over the years. It's not just polish. It fixed dozens of original Q1 bugs that can be described as critical and might still be present in QW source.
Makaqu features some neat DC friendly features as well such as an onscreen keyboard.

For sure it will! Can't wait any longer! :D

PS: Why are you adding that tl;dr sections to your posts all the time?
Why mentioning "spill any beans"-part before? Are you trying to make a statement between the lines?

mankrip
shadow

Post#48 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:i think the interest, at least on these boards, will be the fact that [...] if we have a quakeworld night and get 6 or 7 people, PC players can see and the servers will be lit

if somebody wants to play singleplayer quake, your makaqu engine is available

[...]between coop, deathmatch, and team fortress we essentially get 3 new games in one, and then there's other mods. as i try to reply to your post i understand it less and less

3 more games, but not 3 new games. You are looking at what already exists.

Bringing people together is important, but you are looking at only one type of potential audience.

Anyway, my only question was to know if his Makaqu version with online multiplayer support will be released.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#49 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:16 pm

moi wrote:
Lol. Since you were repeatedly replying to questions originally directed at Shou's and PCWzrd's at first I thought you were their spokesman.

no i just posted that because i don't want people here getting a bad taste in their mouth before its even released based on an assumption it doesn't use makaqu
moi wrote:

For sure it will! Can't wait any longer! :D

PS: Why are you adding that tl;dr sections to your posts all the time?
Why mentioning "spill any beans"-part before? Are you trying to make a statement between the lines?

that's just my post style i guess, glad you're paying close attention

with "spill any beans" i mean that i don't want to set some kind of expectation before release and abuse my testing privileges. if shu wants to come in here and answer your questions about modem speeds, compatibility, etc, cool, but he hasn't said much details yet and i don't want to get ahead of him in his own project because he knows better than I. all i'm saying is from what i could try out it's awesome
ImageImage

moi
blackout!

Post#50 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:52 am

DR TEAMCAST wrote:no i just posted that because i don't want people here getting a bad taste in their mouth before its even released based on an assumption it doesn't use makaqu

So do you think it worked out well for what you had intended?

that's just my post style i guess, glad you're paying close attention

Yeah. Some people are assuming that sacarsm wouldn't work on the internet's. I beg to differ. It does, if you pay close attention.

with "spill any beans" i mean that i don't want to set some kind of expectation before release and abuse my testing privileges. if shu wants to come in here and answer your questions about modem speeds, compatibility, etc, cool, but he hasn't said much details yet and i don't want to get ahead of him in his own project because he knows better than I. all i'm saying is from what i could try out it's awesome

I see. I'm ok with that. We've been waiting for online homebrew ever since the KOS modem driver was released back in the early 2000s. So we surely will have the patience to wait some more weeks, months or even years.
Won't change the fact that the excitement factor is way through the roof leading to what it might seem annoying questions that most likely no one else in the community seem to care about.