n00b question im sure...

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

BloodBrother
core

n00b question im sure...

Post#1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 am

im sorry if this seems silly, stupid, or even selfish, but I'd like to secure my DC now 'gamertag', however i do not have an online capable DC yet. Is it only possible to setup an online profile within the DC? (i plan to get a dreampi soon, but just moved halfway across country and am still getting settled). If this is trivial, heres an explanation; ive had my XBL gamertag since Year 1, thats going on 16 years.. so my online ID is somewhat important to me. Anyone's time to answer is appreciated, thank ya!
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

Xiden
Developer

Re: n00b question im sure...

Post#2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 am

BloodBrother wrote:im sorry if this seems silly, stupid, or even selfish, but I'd like to secure my DC now 'gamertag', however i do not have an online capable DC yet. Is it only possible to setup an online profile within the DC? (i plan to get a dreampi soon, but just moved halfway across country and am still getting settled). If this is trivial, heres an explanation; ive had my XBL gamertag since Year 1, thats going on 16 years.. so my online ID is somewhat important to me. Anyone's time to answer is appreciated, thank ya!

Dreamcast isnt too picky (on most games that is) If more than one person have the same username/gamertag. You'd have to setup your username across all online games though since dc games do not have the same advantage Xbox does in where it can use your gamertag on all games automatically. I think only a handful of games would have a "unique" username requirement like ChuChu, OOGA, WSB2k2. You might ask Shuouma on here he might be able to reserve the name you want on those games. Otherwise games like Quake for example are not picky if multiple people have the same userID

alexh86
lithium

Post#3 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:28 am

Often the usernames are game-specific as there really isn't a unified service like you have with XBL. If you're trying to reserve a username on Dreamcast Now, I don't believe that's possible without first connecting a DreamPi to the service. That said, at current count, there are 355 total players who've ever logged in and some of those are dupes of people who've logged in using both wifi and ethernet connections. The chances of you securing your favorite username are pretty good.

BloodBrother
core

Post#4 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:59 am

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate your time. That's good to know tho, its been at the back of my mind for a time. :D
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.