New Dreamcast Now features!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

moi
blackout!

Re: New Dreamcast Now features!

Post#71 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 am

I'd love to have an easier option when switching between LAN and WiFI. Rather then typing in half a dozen of Shell commands, how about moving the config file to the FAT32 partition of DreamPI SD card so you can easily edit it on your Windows OS?

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#72 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:32 pm

i just had an amazing and fancy idea for dreampi

why not attempt a text to speech module, where if a user attaches a speaker to their pi, notifications will be broadcasted like an intercom, with a pleasant chime and a british lady's voice (if available in the software) saying "there are <#> users playing <game>" or "<player name> has connected to <game>" or "there are <#> players online"

so imagine you're in your room:

*ding*
pleasant british lady: "Tact is playing Quake 3"

there are obvious issues with the idea though, like too many notifications when many people are online, making people annoyed. there would have to be configurable settings for notification frequency, notification type (only broadcast total dreamcast now population, and\or broadcast player status, and\or broadcast game(s) status), volume level control for a tiny usb powered speaker with no physical volume control

this isn't a demand. just putting it out there and maybe kazade or somebody will run with the idea. i think it sounds really interesting in theory

at the least though, it would be nice if chrome browser notification support was implemented
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#73 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Perhaps a quick breakdown section at the top of the page?

A basic stat thing a bit like the one already there but with a little more depth?

# Players Online
# Players on 4x4 Evolution
# Players on Quake III Arena
# Players on Phantasy Star Online
# Players on Chu Chu Rocket
etc
Of course, if a game has no players online, it doesn't appear in the stats. That will prevent clutter but still show what is currently being played the most if you just want to dive into any random game.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#74 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:06 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:i just had an amazing and fancy idea for dreampi

why not attempt a text to speech module, where if a user attaches a speaker to their pi, notifications will be broadcasted like an intercom, with a pleasant chime and a british lady's voice (if available in the software) saying "there are <#> users playing <game>" or "<player name> has connected to <game>" or "there are <#> players online"

so imagine you're in your room:

*ding*
pleasant british lady: "Tact is playing Quake 3"

there are obvious issues with the idea though, like too many notifications when many people are online, making people annoyed. there would have to be configurable settings for notification frequency, notification type (only broadcast total dreamcast now population, and\or broadcast player status, and\or broadcast game(s) status), volume level control for a tiny usb powered speaker with no physical volume control

this isn't a demand. just putting it out there and maybe kazade or somebody will run with the idea. i think it sounds really interesting in theory

at the least though, it would be nice if chrome browser notification support was implemented

This is pure genius.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#75 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:07 pm

-time online
-more obvious divide between who's online and offline
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#76 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:44 pm

tutorial for text to speech using python scripting, with interchangeable voice packs AND accents 8-)

https://www.dexterindustries.com/howto/ ... -pi-speak/
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Whiteysnakey
rebel

Post#77 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:20 am

-
Last edited by Whiteysnakey on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#78 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:31 am

This is an extreme idea, and may not necessarily be a Dreamcast Now specific, but since the Pi is so much more powerful than the DC and the DreamPi tracks your online gameplay, is it possible to use the Pi to automatically create and co-ordinate verbal chat using a PC Mic connected to the Pi?

Basically if you have a PC headset connected to Pi, when you join a game online the Pi reads the DC Now players and lumps them into a temporary voice call/chat for the duration of the match?

I know that the Pi could handle the headset
I know that DreamPi sends your game and ID.
I know that DC NOW can pull this information and use it.

Using DC NOW as a buddy chat would be great fun, and may convince others to sign up (I've seen several PSO players who say they don't use it).

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#79 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 am

Roareye wrote:This is an extreme idea, and may not necessarily be a Dreamcast Now specific, but since the Pi is so much more powerful than the DC and the DreamPi tracks your online gameplay, is it possible to use the Pi to automatically create and co-ordinate verbal chat using a PC Mic connected to the Pi?

Basically if you have a PC headset connected to Pi, when you join a game online the Pi reads the DC Now players and lumps them into a temporary voice call/chat for the duration of the match?

I know that the Pi could handle the headset
I know that DreamPi sends your game and ID.
I know that DC NOW can pull this information and use it.

Using DC NOW as a buddy chat would be great fun, and may convince others to sign up (I've seen several PSO players who say they don't use it).

Great idea. So much potential with dreampi and dreamcast now