New Dreamcast Now features!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Re: New Dreamcast Now features!

Post#51 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:31 am

Well actually, the problem with using emoji for national flags is this: [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Indicator_Symbol ]. The short of it is that rendering country code emoji as flags instead of letter codes is optional, so it will always be hit-or-miss as the OS and/or application must support it, either with the application completely supporting everything independently or by the app partially depending upon the OS.

Now if you wanted a Free flag icon set, I've attached the flag set from Teeworlds. It is licensed under the Zlib license and takes up about 1.1 MiB.
Attachments
teeworlds-flags.tar.gz
Flag set from Teeworlds, a Free Software graphics set (Zlib license)
(455.54 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#52 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:51 am

Anonymouse wrote:im using windows and firefox. the flags work fine

The latest Firefox release? I'm on Firefox Quantum v59.0.1 (64-bit) and flags don't show up.

Nz17 wrote:Now if you wanted a Free flag icon set, I've attached the flag set from Teeworlds. It is licensed under the Zlib license and takes up about 1.1 MiB.

Where are those supposed to be installed/pasted on?

Also found this https://emojipedia.org/flags/

Apparently Samsung smartphones don't show the flags as well

«These emoji flags work on iPhone, iPad, Mac and Android. Windows shows emoji flags as two-letter codes, and so does Samsung. Use these emoji flags on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Hootsuite, TweetDeck, Slack, WhatsApp and WeChat.»

Taken from: http://emojiflags.com/

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#53 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:47 am

your updates were too good kazade lol

(host blocked dcnow for exceeding bandwidth quota, which is kinda cool achievement for the scene)
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#54 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:09 am

7 64-bit, Firefox v56 (FUCK YOU v57+ FOR DISCONTINUING SESSION MANAGER ADD-ON I've three states of tons and tons of tabs) shows me the country flags in DC-now

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#55 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:34 am

Raen wrote:
Nz17 wrote:Now if you wanted a Free flag icon set, I've attached the flag set from Teeworlds. It is licensed under the Zlib license and takes up about 1.1 MiB.

Raen: That was addressed to kazade. You see, the attached file is just a set of icons. Those PNG images contain tons of flags from around the world. They aren't an emoji font, but they can be used instead of emoji for greater compatibility.

For example, these font-based emoji can't be used with old browsers like Planetweb, DreamKey, DreamPassport, Netscape, etc., but they also don't work with a number of other browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, Safari, Opera, etc. depending on a number of different factors. This makes the emoji approach unreliable. The "old fashioned" approach of using images, whether in PNG, JPG, or GIF format, is a reliable alternative.

mistamontiel: I share your ire. I too have stayed with "old Firefox" in order to continue using my existing add-ons and extensions.

Whiteysnakey
rebel

Post#56 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:42 pm

-
Last edited by Whiteysnakey on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#57 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Nz17 wrote:
Raen wrote:

Raen: That was addressed to kazade. You see, the attached file is just a set of icons. Those PNG images contain tons of flags from around the world. They aren't an emoji font, but they can be used instead of emoji for greater compatibility.

For example, these font-based emoji can't be used with old browsers like Planetweb, DreamKey, DreamPassport, Netscape, etc., but they also don't work with a number of other browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, Safari, Opera, etc. depending on a number of different factors. This makes the emoji approach unreliable. The "old fashioned" approach of using images, whether in PNG, JPG, or GIF format, is a reliable alternative.

mistamontiel: I share your ire. I too have stayed with "old Firefox" in order to continue using my existing add-ons and extensions.

Thanks for talking to me like I am a 5 year old :lol: I understood all of that, I just thought that you could install or inject those icons to circumvent the lack of font-based emoji flags. For example, Firefox has a font.name-list.emoji flag in the config page (about:config), and a EmojiOneMozilla.ttf file in install directory/fonts folder. Thought that perhaps those could be injected in that ttf file.

What I didn't understand, was that you were talking to Kazade, so he could use those icons instead of the font-based emoji flags, to circumvent the issue ;)

Whiteysnakey
rebel

Post#58 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 am

-
Last edited by Whiteysnakey on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

kazade
Developer

Post#59 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:11 am

Whiteysnakey wrote:Another quick suggestion :)

The ability to leave a small text message on your profile on dreamcast.online
e.g. small text message attached to each game that has been played and the current game being played
the text message shows on the main profile.

For example I could leave a message like

PSO: Ship:Iselia BLOCK01

That would allow people to find me quickly.

So there are a bunch of things like this I could implement, but they all require linking some kind of user account to the Dreamcast. It could be added as part of the "Configure" option, but that would mean changes to the DreamPi software too and that's just not scalable when adding new features.

I have thought of a way to link accounts to one (or more!) Dreamcasts but it's a fair chunk of work.

dreamcast ™
undertow

Post#60 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:13 am

The service going down due to resource issues can largely be addressed by reducing the profiles that show up on the main page "dreamcast.online/now" to only those that are online and making the rest accessible via search. I haven't counted, but if the number of profiles you display matches the "357 Players" number, that doesn't make sense from a scalability perspective or usability perspective on the end-user's end.

Right now, if there are indeed 357 profiles shown and assuming everyone plays at least three games, including the background and profile picture images, that's 1785 images that need to be downloaded and displayed for every unique request. Caching helps reduce that amount sometimes, but that's only if caching is used.

Also, instead of a large single background image, have you considered using a much smaller tiled background image to represent the last game played? It would also make it easier to see the the content in the foreground.