Sega Swirl E-Mail Challenge Setup Guide (DreamPi)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Sega Swirl E-Mail Challenge Setup Guide (DreamPi)

Post#31 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:12 am

That was it
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#32 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Works great on the Saturn!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#33 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:36 pm

itsthinkingstill wrote:Works great on the Saturn!

I am sorry that I cannot give this a shot with you. This seems to be my only ism with the DreamPi as a whole. Too bad it is not BBA friendly.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

marcosunix23
noob

Post#34 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:21 am

I can send and receive email on my Dreamcast now, but when I try to send an email with a saved save game, gives the message that e-mail was be sent, but I never receive this email. Does anyone know if this is possible to send save game to email

Xiden
Developer

Post#35 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:46 pm

marcosunix23 wrote:I can send and receive email on my Dreamcast now, but when I try to send an email with a saved save game, gives the message that e-mail was be sent, but I never receive this email. Does anyone know if this is possible to send save game to email

Yes it is possible to get saved games to email, I'm assuming you are using gmail.
Have you turned on "allow access from "less secure apps"?

marcosunix23
noob

Post#36 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Xiden wrote:
marcosunix23 wrote:I can send and receive email on my Dreamcast now, but when I try to send an email with a saved save game, gives the message that e-mail was be sent, but I never receive this email. Does anyone know if this is possible to send save game to email

Yes it is possible to get saved games to email, I'm assuming you are using gmail.

Thank you so much! I forgot turned on this access. Now everything works great :D

marcosunix23
noob

Post#37 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Xiden wrote:

Xiden how i can restore backup save on vmu using this method? I sent back the save game but when i open on Dreamcast the save attached comes like text.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#38 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:38 pm

If I own a website,[I don’t want to promote my website if it’s unrelated to the topic, so let’s call it domain.wand, (originally like the 555 number, but for websites, even though nowadays, Niceklodeon could own the top level domain .wand and all Fairly Oddparents Websites on the show can be real ;) ) ] can I set up a web mail account, like since this is the only game I have that’s play by email, and I already have email for my website domain.wand, how about calling it segaswirl@domain.wand, and use that for exclusively my Sega Swirl traffic? Do I have to do anything special other than launch my boot disc and enter my email as segaswirl@domain.wand ?

Do I have to download anything to the Dreampi, or is that ONLY for gmail.com email addresses? Any other addresses that would work well with Sega Swirl.

Some people might be saying "You own a website in 2018? That’s so Zeros" :P Well we all own Dreamcasts, and that’s so 90s, and we’re proud of it.

Xiden
Developer

Post#39 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:54 pm

tripletopper wrote:If I own a website,[I don’t want to promote my website if it’s unrelated to the topic, so let’s call it domain.wand, (originally like the 555 number, but for websites, even though nowadays, Niceklodeon could own the top level domain .wand and all Fairly Oddparents Websites on the show can be real ;) ) ] can I set up a web mail account, like since this is the only game I have that’s play by email, and I already have email for my website domain.wand, how about calling it segaswirl@domain.wand, and use that for exclusively my Sega Swirl traffic? Do I have to do anything special other than launch my boot disc and enter my email as segaswirl@domain.wand ?

Do I have to download anything to the Dreampi, or is that ONLY for gmail.com email addresses? Any other addresses that would work well with Sega Swirl.

Some people might be saying "You own a website in 2018? That’s so Zeros" :P Well we all own Dreamcasts, and that’s so 90s, and we’re proud of it.

So emails using today's protocols are not compatible with dreamcast. The gmail program Shu wrote is a bridge software basically that fixes it, but that is written specifically for gmail. You could try modifying it, but its a huge hassle and far easier to just sign up for a free gmail account. That or use cmail server but it requires your pc be on at all times https://sites.google.com/site/segarpgfa ... dreceivedc

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#40 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Are you talking about pop and imap? My web servers still deal in both pop AND imap. I still use pop on my modern Macintosh. I assume I need a pop account.