Slyverant PSO

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Slyverant PSO

Post#1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Is Sylverant PSO Server down at the moment, or perhaps gone forever? I was gonna try and get it setup, downloaded a CD from ISOZONE that has it all presetup, but I can't even create an account on their site since it's down.

Are there any alternatives to play PSO on the Dreamcast?

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Slyverant PSO

Post#2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:37 pm

There is another server out there but I cannot remember what it is called.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Sylverant is down at the moment. It's been up and down randomly for the last couple days. Must be having issues of some sort. I'm sure it will be back to normal soon. It's pretty rare for it to go down.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 pm

The one on TiZ is the enhanced one which makes ULT difficulty even doubly harder

Grab the torrent from psopalace.sylverant.net .. when they're back up

er if you really want I'll up the stock one to my Mediafire

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#5 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:59 pm

Which server is the most active among Dreamcast users? I dont mind waiting if its Sylverant. My keyboard wont show up for another day or two in the mail anyways

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:11 am

I'm not aware of any other servers that have active Dreamcast players anymore. Some people still play GameCube on SCHTServ, but I don't think anybody plays DC there these days.

Sylverant isn't actually down; IIRC the problem is that Google hates one of our settings, so it refuses to resolve our domain name now and then. If you change your DNS server to be one that doesn't rely on Google, then you can connect to Sylverant even when Google is being stupid.

BlueCrab has appeased the Alphabet gods for the moment, so you should be able to connect again.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#7 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:24 am

Yeah i was able to get on. Sadly nobody else was on though.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#8 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:59 am

As Aleron Ives said, the server wasn't down -- Google's DNS just wouldn't resolve sylverant.net, as it seems to like to do from time to time. Unfortunately, sometimes when this happens, I don't find out about it for a while to try to take action to appease whatever stupid crap in the Google DNS code seems to dislike.

Because of this, I suggest to people that they don't use Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4), but rather use a different DNS server such as the ones that most people's ISPs provide or one of the various public DNS servers out there (here's a list that seems fairly up-to-date as of right now: https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-publi ... rs-2626062 ).

That said, unlike most times, I can't completely blame this one on Google's DNS. It actually appears this time that the registrar that sylverant.net is registered through was actually returning invalid DNSSEC responses (as opposed to what normally happens when Google is the only one that thinks it is returning invalid responses).

Return to “Online”