Need some help with Dreampi and USB Modem

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

stevey5036
noob

Need some help with Dreampi and USB Modem

Post#1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi all,

Just got a USB modem with built in LVI from the Dreamcast Live shop yesterday. I have a Dreampi image up and running on my Raspberry Pi 3 B, but I cannot seem to get the USB modem to talk to the Dreamcast after going through the setup process. I followed the video that Modern Vintage Gamer recently put up (https://youtu.be/9jo8jdvWrBA) along with the video on the Dreamcast Live site itself, but when I try to connect, I just get 'There is no answer at this number' in the Planet Web 2.0 connection screen. Both lights are green on the USB modem and I'm not really sure what else to check at this point. In some of the tutorial videos you can see the AT codes along with 'Setup Complete, listening...' on the Pi console screen, and I'm not seeing that, but in other topics people have said you shouldn't see anything at all on the console screen.

I've tried every possible thing I can think of before coming here to ask for help, so I'll list it all out.

Tried:
Freshly downloaded 1.6 image from both the Dreamcast Live site and Kazade on different SD card
Different phone cable
Different USB port on the Pi
Pinging the Pi from my PC - Works
Pinging Google and other internet sites from the Pi - Works
Discovering the Pi via IP on the Dreamcast Now! site - Works
Disabled wifi via wifi utility
Doing both (111)-1111 and 111-1111 as dial number

Probably a bunch of other steps that I forgot. I saw a command somewhere that you could run which would show the status of the USB modem at various bitrates, but now I cannot find it. I doubt the USB modem is the culprit, since it came from the man himself, pcwzrd13, but is there a possibility?

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Shuouma
Developer

Re: Need some help with Dreampi and USB Modem

Post#2 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Hey

So does it dial the nr provided?
Or do you get the "There is no answer at this number" straight away?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:11 pm

If both lights on the USB modem are lit up then that typically means DreamPi is working properly and is ready to receive the call from the Dreamcast. That narrows it down to the Dreamcast modem, phone cable, or the USB modem. If you have another Dreamcast, try swapping out the modem. If you want to send the USB modem back to me for testing, just shoot me an email.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

stevey5036
noob

Post#4 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Shuouma wrote:Hey

So does it dial the nr provided?
Or do you get the "There is no answer at this number" straight away?

I am assuming it dials as it does take about a minute before it tells me there is no answer. I turned on verbose modem dialing in Planet Web and all the AT codes show 'OK'. I'll see if I can source another DC modem before sending back.

Thank you for the responses!

kevlo9
shadow

Post#5 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:42 pm

I'm in the same boat as stevey5036...I also just got my USB modem in the mail from DreamPi.

Everything looks to be working on the Pi (I can ping it's IP), both lights on the USB modem are lit up. I can see that I'm connected on Dreamcast Now (and also verified that on the Pi).

But when I try to connect via the Dreamcast I get a modem error "There is no answer at the telephone number. Check you ISP Phone #".

I've double checked all my files and settings and they match up with the tutorials that I 've watched.

Any suggestions?

kevlo9
shadow

Post#6 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:51 pm

I should also mention that I've tried 2 different Dreamcasts.

Also, last night I tried a few more times and I kept getting a no ring tone error?

stevey5036
noob

Post#7 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Just an update, it ended up being the Dreamcast modem! Who knew they went bad.. Ordered one off eBay for $10 and I'm playing PSO ver.2 online now. Thanks everyone for the responses!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:57 pm

stevey5036 wrote:Just an update, it ended up being the Dreamcast modem! Who knew they went bad.. Ordered one off eBay for $10 and I'm playing PSO ver.2 online now. Thanks everyone for the responses!

Awesome! Glad you got it working! And yeah, the Dreamcast modems do go bad. I have two of them myself that don't work properly. One isn't detected at all by the Dreamcast and the other has really slow connection speeds. I'm hoping I can figure out how to repair them at some point.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

kevlo9
shadow

Post#9 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:04 pm

stevey5036 how did you test the modem? I tried 2 and got the same results.

stevey5036
noob

Post#10 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:36 am

kevlo9 wrote:stevey5036 how did you test the modem? I tried 2 and got the same results.

I have the Planet Web 2 Disc and turned on verbose modem logging in the options. This gives you the AT codes when it attempts to connect, everything should appear 'OK' when dialing.