Daytona Usa 2001 Online Archive

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Daytona Usa 2001 Online Archive

Post#1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:48 pm

With the 2k games coming back this year this has stirred me to go to see how much archive footage/pics i could find of other Online games. Outside of Propeller Arena the game i would be exited to see the most is Daytona to come back online. Sadly there is little out there that shows how the game played online outside of reviews if you find anything else let me know! :D

daytona 4.jpg

daytona 3.jpg

Daytona 2.jpg

Daytona 1.jpg

daytona 5.jpg

Chael
fire

Re: Daytona Usa 2001 Online Archive

Post#2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:17 pm

I'd do my research in Japanese. Both website archives and magazines.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#3 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:03 am

Chael wrote:I'd do my research in Japanese. Both website archives and magazines.

Sweet!

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:50 am

I don't know anything about either getting these games back online, nor about their code. However would this stuff not still be on the disc, available for view through the disc itself or via hacking of the cdi/rom? I'd find it hard to believe that the chat board seen in the last picture was stored on the server. The in-game footage resembles a local multiplayer in aesthetics, so I would imagine there's not much additional needed for online outside of the code that places the opponent/s on the track.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:58 am

I think the issue is the coding needed to reenginer the servers to even get to the chat.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#6 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:08 am

Would that be more difficult than any other game? If so, why?
I know nothing about coding so forgive my ignorance lol

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#7 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:56 am

The arcade version was big at Dave and busters when it came out. Funny putting people u dont know, playing right next to you, into the wall. Coments like "WTF, CHEATER, that was cheap A..hole" were thrown around lol
Italian Stallion

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#8 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:28 am

Roareye wrote:Would that be more difficult than any other game? If so, why?
I know nothing about coding so forgive my ignorance lol

I would think it's a issue of what the dreamcast needs to hear back from the server to know it is connected. And if the actual racing is on the server or player to player directly (don't use the server for actual game play online).

Dave and Busters nearest me still has daytona there! It's awesome.

Dostuff
dark night

Post#9 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 pm

I rented Daytona back in the day and went online. Sadly, I was not as impressed as I wanted to be. MSR would have made a very strong multiplayer title, but that was not implemented. I would still get a retail copy of Daytona if it went back online, but for me it's too arcade style racing.

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#10 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:52 pm

wow ! that game still goin strong in dave and busters . Hey just burned daytona usa and tried netplay only to find i need some sort of serial key in the vmu to get online. then it booted me out to the dreamcast home screen. Maybe a cdi issue or just the lack of a serial key
Italian Stallion