Ooga Booga Is Back Online!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Chael
fire

Re: Ooga Booga Is Back Online!

Post#51 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Chael wrote:P2P means you also download the data from the others? Since it's a 4 player game isn't it better to download data from others at 56K even if each of them uploaded at 33k?

P2P means you're communicating with each other directly and not going through a server. All players only have the ability to send data at 33k. Even if you could download data at 56k, it's being sent to you from other players at 33k, so that's the limit.

33K would be the limit if it was 1V1 but there are 3 other player so their uploads add up! That's why the extra DL speed could have an use.

And my points is that since it was an NA exclusive it might have been optimized to use that extra speed but who knows?

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#52 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Managed to contact SegaBits and they will be doing a article on the subject matter (All DC games) tomorrow! :D

Xiden
Developer

Post#53 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 am

itsthinkingstill wrote:Managed to contact SegaBits and they will be doing a article on the subject matter (All DC games) tomorrow! :D

Nice :) You should also tell them about the Saturn online stuff too ;)

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#54 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 am

Xiden wrote:
itsthinkingstill wrote:Managed to contact SegaBits and they will be doing a article on the subject matter (All DC games) tomorrow! :D

Nice :) You should also tell them about the Saturn online stuff too ;)

Ohhh, forgot in the moment :lol: i had little chance of them responding to it so i was not shooting very high 8-)

MobiusX
undertow

Post#55 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Oh man, I've been out of the loop. Can't believe this is back! So cool! I picked this up cheap 7 or 8 years ago just because I could. Can't wait for a chance to actually play it online!

SpaghettiCat
rebel

Post#56 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 pm

I'm having trouble connecting this game. I'm using a DreamPi (v1.7). It connects with the modem, and I get to the point where it asks for your display name. I log in with the name I've registered and give the password; it authenticates me.

Then it shows "Getting regions" and after some seconds it says "Error Failed to connect to server. Try again in a few minutes". At this point Dreamcast Now shows me as inside Ooga Booga.

If it's relevant, I have not not enabled the DMZ on my router (sadly I must use an unusual router, and it doesn't support DMZ). I can connect fine to other games and enter their lobbies. But Quake 3 doesn't work for me (don't know if it's relevant).

Xiden
Developer

Post#57 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 pm

SpaghettiCat wrote:I'm having trouble connecting this game. I'm using a DreamPi (v1.7). It connects with the modem, and I get to the point where it asks for your display name. I log in with the name I've registered and give the password; it authenticates me.

Then it shows "Getting regions" and after some seconds it says "Error Failed to connect to server. Try again in a few minutes". At this point Dreamcast Now shows me as inside Ooga Booga.

If it's relevant, I have not not enabled the DMZ on my router (sadly I must use an unusual router, and it doesn't support DMZ). I can connect fine to other games and enter their lobbies. But Quake 3 doesn't work for me (don't know if it's relevant).

DMZ is required for OOBA and that sounds like most likely the issue that's going on.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#58 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 pm

DMZ or port forwarding is required for many online Dreamcast games to work properly, including Ooga Booga.

https://www.dreamcastlive.net/connection-guide All the games here with a * next to their name require it. Though Quake 3 doesn't require it, so not sure why that one wouldn't work.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#59 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:46 pm

SpaghettiCat wrote:I'm having trouble connecting this game.

If it's relevant, I have not not enabled the DMZ on my router (sadly I must use an unusual router, and it doesn't support DMZ).

You wouldn't need DMZ / Port Forwarding to simply connect to the server. You only need it if you want to host a game. I'm not really sure what would cause you not to be able to connect to the server. Could be some sort of local network / firewall issue. That's my only guess.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SpaghettiCat
rebel

Post#60 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Thank you for the replies. I'm happy to know that I can port forward instead: my router definitely supports that.

And I'm able to successfully enter the lobbies of games that have "*" next to them, like PBA Bowling and NBA 2K2, but I've not had the chance to actually try to play with someone to test if it truly works. I will do the port forwarding.