How do I get the PSO patcher to work with GDEMU?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: How do I get the PSO patcher to work with GDEMU?

Post#31 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:11 am

How many routers do you have? You should try at least once connecting the BBA directly to your DSL/Cable modem to see if that fixes it.

Do you get stuck looking out the Hunter's Guild window forever when you try to join somebody else's team?
"Fear the HUnewearl."

the1ross
undertow

Post#32 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Yes, staring out the hunters guild window. Then it gives me a message saying I was disconnected.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#33 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 am

Does it happen no matter who is leading the team? It could be a problem on the other person's end, not yours. For testing purposes, have one other person create a team, then join him immediately. If it doesn't work, have somebody else make a team, then join that team immediately. If you can get into teams hosted by some players but not others, then it might not be your fault.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#34 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 am

If you can't join other peoples' teams with a BBA, you're quite possibly not going to be able to with DreamPi either, unless you have some sort of hardware issue -- be it a bad BBA (unlikely, since you can host teams), a bad network cable (also unlikely, since you can host teams), or some sort of misbehaving router.

For PSO (and any other games that support both the BBA and the modem), the BBA will almost certainly give you a better experience online with less random issues than you will have with a DreamPi (or any other modem-based solution). The exception would be if you have some sort of issue with network equipment on your end (like a misbehaving router) -- sometimes having a modern network stack forwarding on your requests can solve that particular issue, but it really is an issue with your networking hardware.

Also, just to dispel some old rumors and whatnot, the MTU shouldn't have any impact on PSO unless you have it set below a certain threshold (the suggested value of 1400 is fine here) or you have it set to something obviously too large or something else odd like that. By default, most routers will set your network MTU to somewhere around 1500, which will work just fine with PSO. The MTU is a maximum value for a single packet, and most of the time you won't be sending maximal length packets. Whatever your router normally has set as the default will probably work just fine. ;-)

Also, back to the original topic of the thread... I suspect that if you have the PSO Patcher right before PSO on your GDEMU SD card, you might be able to make it work. That said, you'd probably need a button soldered to your GDEMU to swap the virtual discs, which is probably more trouble than it is worth to most people. ;)

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#35 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:38 am

BlueCrab wrote:the MTU shouldn't have any impact on PSO

There was one player who used to crash every time he loaded a quest, but he fixed it by adjusting the MTU, IIRC.

BlueCrab wrote:you'd probably need a button soldered to your GDEMU to swap the virtual discs

GDEMU comes with a button for swapping discs. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#36 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:51 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:you'd probably need a button soldered to your GDEMU to swap the virtual discs

GDEMU comes with a button for swapping discs. ;)
Ah right... It does. I know there's also solder pads if you want to add one that's more convenient than having to reach inside the console to hit the button and risk disturbing the GDEMU board in the process. ;)