USB Modem with built-in line voltage

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

BloodBrother
core

Re: USB Modem with built-in line voltage

Post#21 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 am

I don’t mean to bring this off topic, but I’d like to comment on this. I love the Dreamcast, for all the different oppurtunities to learn and develop different skills.
What I’m getting at is, you have your “developers” for the software side, and the “electronic engineers” on the hardware side. There is plenty to learn and for anyone interested (myself) the Dreamcast is a playground for the Everyman to build upon his interests, all hobbled together by this awesome “hobby”.

I do hope this isn’t a wasted comment, but I wanted to express my appreciation for everyone on here that furthers the future of this console.
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

desumoyo
noob

Post#22 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 am

EDIT : PROBLEM SOLVED! - Did you knew that when multimeter battery get empty, voltage reading is unreliable? once I replaced the multimeter battery, it displayed 10V instead of 18...

Hello,

I tried to mod my modem to have a line inducer built-in, but it fail to connect on the dreamcast

On USB +/- I connected the boost converter (a MT3608)
on the MT3608 - I connected the 330Ohm resistance, followed by a .47uF capacitor, followed by a diode to the MT3608 +
I have cut the trace between the connector "red" and the rest of the board and put cable between the rest of the board to one leg of the capacitor and another leg of the capacitor to the connector "red"

The Dreamcast say that the line is busy, no matter what I do

For testing, I tried on a PC with a serial modem and it has no issue connecting to the dreampi, but the tonality is somewhat weird.

I'm in PAL region, so the MT3608 is set to 18V, tested with a multimeter, tried to boost it a bit more (to 19/20V) but it don't change a thing.

petter3k
Developer

Post#23 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:00 pm

I need this - please PM whoever makes these.
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.

peanut_unlimited
lithium

Post#24 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:35 am

these are fairly easy to make and cheap. I just built one myself the other day :) just need some soldering skills and good to go!

carnage
shadow

Post#25 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:18 am

As harsh as this may sound, that is not the problem at hand. Time is. :-)

mattek
rebel

Post#26 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am

May I ask you what is the usage of diode in the circuit? And what value should it exactly has?