Magicjack - an alternative to a line voltage inducer

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

TTownLunatiK
noob

Re: Magicjack - an alternative to a line voltage inducer

Post#11 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Yep! I purchased a brand new original silver version on eBay.

TTownLunatiK
noob

Post#12 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:54 pm

So I disconnected everything. Firmly reconnected it all back together and magically, it works. I'm currently looking at the DreamPipe page from the Web Browser 2.0 disc. Haven't tried a game yet, but I too can now confirm connecting this way is achievable.

I'll extend a thank you to the OP and others for this option of connecting online. Much appreciated.

Perhaps I'll see you online soon.

nathanwind
shadow

Post#13 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Great, isn’t it an amazing feeling when it finally works?

My Dreamcast probably hadn’t been online since around 2002 or so it felt so great when it succeeded!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#14 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 am

Nice
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#15 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:52 am

@TTOWNLUNATIK you might have something wrong with the dreamcast settings. when you go to web browser and set up your internet settings, check there. if both green lights are working on your modem, then dreampi should be fine because that means the modem is listening for a dial at that point if im not mistaken.

TTownLunatiK
noob

Post#16 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:52 pm

It is a great feeling for sure. Especially if you've never connected before, such as myself. :D

@poopidoop I had all the settings correct with green lights and all. Apparently just didn't have the magicJack properly connected I guess.

ssshake
noob

Post#17 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Hey there, I'm new here, I happen to already have a magic jack and I have a dreamcast.

I need some clarification to help me understand something better. What I'm confused about is the magic jack has a dial tone, whether connected to an active account or not (you get a dialtone out of the box prior to account set up).

So given this how does your set up actually work? Wouldn't you always have the dial tone in the 'background' causing problems when the modems try to communicate?

Does your magic jack not have a dial tone and you're simply using it to provide the line voltage?

I feel like I have to be missing something here.

Zoarb
lithium

Post#18 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:00 pm

ssshake wrote:Hey there, I'm new here, I happen to already have a magic jack and I have a dreamcast.

I need some clarification to help me understand something better. What I'm confused about is the magic jack has a dial tone, whether connected to an active account or not (you get a dialtone out of the box prior to account set up).

So given this how does your set up actually work? Wouldn't you always have the dial tone in the 'background' causing problems when the modems try to communicate?

Does your magic jack not have a dial tone and you're simply using it to provide the line voltage?

I feel like I have to be missing something here.

I have used this setup personally, and the only problem I had was the phone lines I used were too long. After getting some two feet lines everything worked fine. I hope this helps. Sorry for the delay.
Life is a gamble.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Don't put all your chips on red.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

But above all, make sure you
HAVE FUN

ac3t1ne
rebel

Post#19 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:23 am

Just wanted to add that I also replaced my broken line voltage inducer with a magicjack and it works great on my ntsc modem, I haven't tried it on the pal one yet though. Has anyone tried that yet?