DC can't read Sylverant boot disc

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

kensworld18
shadow

Re: DC can't read Sylverant boot disc

Post#11 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:22 am

I burned copies of 2.0 and 1.1, 1.0, no one could be recognize by my Dreamcast.......
Is there a way that I can use by SD-Card boot up?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#12 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:45 am

Aleron Ives wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:I don't believe you can load a JP character using the US version of the game.

This is true for V1, but V2 characters are region free.

Ah ok. Thanks for the correction. I knew US/PAL characters were region-free but I wasn't sure about Japanese ones. I was thinking any Japanese text used for the character name or items might cause issues.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#13 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:44 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Aleron Ives wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:I don't believe you can load a JP character using the US version of the game.

This is true for V1, but V2 characters are region free.

Ah ok. Thanks for the correction. I knew US/PAL characters were region-free but I wasn't sure about Japanese ones. I was thinking any Japanese text used for the character name or items might cause issues.
The Dreamcast versions of PSO don't allow Japanese text in character names.

Items are just stored as a bunch of item ID values, so text doesn't matter there either.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#14 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:51 pm

You can make your items use Japanese text in any PSO disc by selecting Japanese as your language on the options screen. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Dostuff
dark night

Post#15 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:00 am

Did you fix your issue? My sister's DC had a similar issue. I burned two different brand of CD-R and one brand would not read, the other one did not and presented the cd music player screen. The bad news is her GD drive died a couple weeks later. I hope that is not the issue. A failing drive usually has a few symptoms before it fails completely. Try using a different brand disc and test other burned games to see if you get similar problems.

kensworld18
shadow

Post#16 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Dostuff wrote:Did you fix your issue? My sister's DC had a similar issue. I burned two different brand of CD-R and one brand would not read, the other one did not and presented the cd music player screen. The bad news is her GD drive died a couple weeks later. I hope that is not the issue. A failing drive usually has a few symptoms before it fails completely. Try using a different brand disc and test other burned games to see if you get similar problems.

Nope, I still not yet solve this problem.
I just downloaded and burn "Phantasy Star Online Ver2 (Enhancement Pack Auto-connect Offline Map Pack) FIX", my Dreamcast can read it with no problem, still need time to find my serial number & access key to start.
But for the boot disc issue, still no way to solve for now. And I think I am not the only one facing this problem.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#17 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Ok so I can definitely confirm this is an issue relating to Japanese model Dreamcasts. I tried my PSO patcher with my launch model JP Dreamcast and it read as an audio CD. Is yours an early model by any chance? I know DreamShell has a boot disc specifically for early JP Dreamcasts so there may be some be something different about them that won't allow certain burned discs to boot.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#18 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Did you try my boot disc CDI, or only BlueCrab's?
"Fear the HUnewearl."

kensworld18
shadow

Post#19 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:Did you try my boot disc CDI, or only BlueCrab's?

I used your CDI but got the same result.
Maybe I will to to use Bootdreams or alcohol 120% to burn later.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#20 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 am

That's very strange. My best guess would be there's something in the homebrew IP.bin that your JP DC doesn't like, in which case it may be impossible to use the boot disc without a different BIOS.

Your options in such a case would be a) to use your GD-ROM with Xploder codes to bypass the HL check, or b) to use my selfboot CD-R, since your DC can boot that. The fact that it boots the CD-R game suggests that it is the boot disc itself, and not the burning process, that is to blame.
"Fear the HUnewearl."