DC can't read Sylverant boot disc

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

kensworld18
shadow

DC can't read Sylverant boot disc

Post#1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:25 am

He everyone!
I have setup my DreamPi and tested Quake 3 Arena with no problem playing online.
After I download Sylverant PSO Patcher 2.0 (CDI), burn to CD and place in to Dreamcast, it can't bootup as normal game.
What can I do to fix this problem?
My Dreamcast is NTSC-J and can play Mil CD.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: DC can't read Sylverant boot disc

Post#2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:34 am

Odd that it doesn't just work , not so ideal though since the authentic PSO GD gives the drive too much stress workout all times

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/ hit Downloads and I strongly recommend firing up uTorrent and getting PSO DC Ives Pack 2.0 Torrent

It's highly optimized also auto-connects and the character and area loads are so seamless and gentle ! Much much better

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am

mistamontiel wrote:Odd that it doesn't just work , not so ideal though since the authentic PSO GD gives the drive too much stress workout all times

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/ hit Downloads and I strongly recommend firing up uTorrent and getting PSO DC Ives Pack 2.0 Torrent

It's highly optimized also auto-connects and the character and area loads are so seamless and gentle ! Much much better

I 2nd this!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 am

So the disc doesn't load at all I presume? If your DC can read burned games, then I can only assume the disc didn't burn right.

mistamontiel wrote:getting PSO DC Ives Pack 2.0 Torrent

I'm guessing by his other post that he wants to load an old character (presumably made using the JP version) so the Ive's disc isn't going to work for him since it's the US version. I don't believe you can load a JP character using the US version of the game. I could be wrong though.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

kensworld18
shadow

Post#5 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:32 pm

I used ImgBurn 2.5.7.0 for Dreamcast (which download from dreamcastlive.net) to burn the CDI file to disc. My Dreamcast recognize there's a CD inside but just treat it as an audio CD with 2 tracks on it.

Another issue I could think of is about area code. Because I am using NTSC-J Dreamcast (Asia edition, should be same as JP version? not sure), It could not play any non-JP DC game unless I use a CD-loader to boot up.
However, even I try to use CD-loader to bypass the area code, it goes back to CD Player screen as shown above.
Here is a screenshot of my CD-loader.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:57 pm

The region-check is bypassed when using a MIL-CD so that's not the issue. It definitely sounds like it didn't burn right. You used the default ImgBurn settings with the slowest burn speed right? Have you burned Dreamcast games with that same burner previously? I have a burner in my desktop PC that my Dreamcast doesn't seem to like. It won't read any discs I burn with it. I have to use an external Samsung one that I have.
PSO Characters:

kensworld18
shadow

Post#7 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Yes I have burn some MIL-CD games and tested no problem with my ImgBurn these few days.
And I just tried Discjuggler to burn but still, my Dreamcast recognize the Sylverant boot disc as an Audio CD.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm

kensworld18 wrote:Yes I have burn some MIL-CD games and tested no problem with my ImgBurn these few days.
And I just tried Discjuggler to burn but still, my Dreamcast recognize the Sylverant boot disc as an Audio CD.

It still could be the burner. A quick search shows someone who had the same problem as you with the disc showing up as an audio CD and using a different burner fixed the issue. Worth a shot if you have another burner to try.
PSO Characters:

Kurasiu
fire

Post#9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:37 pm

I actually had the very same problem with PSO Patcher and my NTSC-J Dreamcast. I burned three CDs, all with different settings and sotfware, and all three of them just went to the audio cd menu...

And what's more funny, I tried the earlier version of PSO Patcher (1.2), and it worked perfectly on the first burn. Judgning from the fact all other burned CDs are working correctly, and the same PSO Patcher v2.0 worked just fine on my PAL Dreamcast, I believe PSO Patcher 2.0 has some serious problems running on Japanese Dreamcasts.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#10 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 am

The CDI that BlueCrab made is audio/data. Try burning my CDI of the boot disc, which is in data/data format. It might work.

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/download ... er_2-0.zip

Of course, I also recommend using my fastload copy of the game over a GD-ROM. ;)

pcwzrd13 wrote:I don't believe you can load a JP character using the US version of the game.

This is true for V1, but V2 characters are region free.
"Fear the HUnewearl."