Dial-up settings for Japanese PSOv2

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Kurasiu
fire

Dial-up settings for Japanese PSOv2

Post#1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:17 am

Does anybody know how to properly set the dial-up settings in order for them to be seen in the Japanese version of PSOv2?
I tried saving them by the custom XDP and the DreamPassport, and while they're visible from DreamPassport and Japanese version of Sonic Adventure, PSOv2 shows the default "No dial-up settings detected" error while selecting the online option.

Since the Sylverant Autopatcher Disc supports Japanese v2 version, is there any way of setting those settings correctly?

Trying to do this on a NTSC-J console, btw.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Dial-up settings for Japanese PSOv2

Post#2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:35 am

I've only ever configured dialup on my DC using PlanetWeb 2.0. That's enough for JPv2 to at least see that I have dialup configured, since it lets me use the BBA. Can other releases of PSO see your ISP settings?
"Fear the HUnewearl."

kensworld18
shadow

Post#3 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:45 pm

I think I know what is going on with your case, because I am having the same situation right now.

My first NTSC-J Dreamcast was bought years ago, used to play [JP ver] PSO v.1&2 online at official SEGA server.
Unfortunately, it was confirm dead due to the main board failure few months ago.
Then my friend gave me a used Dreamcast which never got online before (Asia version Dreamcast doesn't come with a Modem), seems like it cannot play [JP ver] PSO online even I can connect to internet through DreamPi or BBA.
It is because [JP ver] PSO v1&2 need to check the isao.net ID & PW which save in Dreamcast (BIOS? I think) before enter online mode.

I found this Q&A from Japanese website said, there is no way to save isao.net ID into Dreamcast anymore because it is impossible to register or login after isao.net ended their service.

In conclusion, it is impossible to play [JP ver] PSO online again unless your Dreamcast has an iaso.net ID saved.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:24 am

My copy of JPv2 goes online just fine, and I don't have any ISAO information saved in my flash memory. I think JPv1 also works, but I haven't tried it in a while since I have to create a special JPv1 character to use it.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

kensworld18
shadow

Post#5 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:My copy of JPv2 goes online just fine, and I don't have any ISAO information saved in my flash memory. I think JPv1 also works, but I haven't tried it in a while since I have to create a special JPv1 character to use it.

Or is it only matter for NTSC-J Dreamcast + JP ver PSO?

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#6 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:08 pm

If it is truly the case that it's just looking for something in the flashrom in that case, it'd probably be possible to make a homebrew tool that just puts some fake information in the flashrom, assuming someone could provide a dump of their flashrom with the appropriate information already set.

Of course, whether there's anyone out there who could do that now is another story...

That said, I know that at least with a BBA there's no such requirement of having isao login information in the flashrom (on a US Dreamcast) with PSOv1 from Japan, as I've gotten it online before (otherwise, how would I have added support for it in Sylverant's code. ;) ). I doubt it has anything to do with the region of the console, but it could potentially have something to do with Dialup versus BBA connections, I suppose?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#7 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:17 am

An ISAO account is definitely not required to use the BBA, but it could be required to use the modem. If that's the case, then JPv2 may be a BBA-only game now.
"Fear the HUnewearl."