Please help me get online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Stewcumber
rebel

Please help me get online

Post#1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 pm

hi

i am trying to get online in the UK but with no success. Hopefully i just read the instructions wrong!

I have my PAL DC with Quake 3 switched on, in the web browser. The DC is connected to one of PC Wizard's PAL line voltage things using the longer phone cable. The shorter cable goes into the Dell modem RD02-D400, on which there are two green lights. The usb end of this modem plugs into my Pi1, as does the voltage inducer. The Pi is running DreamPi and is connected via ethernet cable to my router.

when i open the web browser in Quake 3 it says no telephone number has been set. I change the "external number" to 555 (this is meaningless in the UK, although i understand this isnt a real number in the US either and it is just used in films and stuff!) and it still says cant connect. when i try to open a connection the modem lights dont flicker at all i assume cos it doesnt have a number to try to dial...

what am i missing?

Xiden
Developer

Re: Please help me get online

Post#2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 pm

pcwiz to the rescue :D
Last edited by Xiden on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:14 pm

You won't be able to use the PAL version of Quake to configure the Dreamcast connection settings. You'll need to use either Dreamkey 3.0, XDP Browser, PlanetWeb, or a US copy of Quake. Once you have one of those, configure it as shown in the video below.

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Stewcumber
rebel

Post#4 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:18 am

That's a shame! When I turned on the Quake web browser I thought it looked identical to the web browsers I other games. Luckily I have s Dreamkey 3 on the way already.

Thanks for the help.

Stewcumber
rebel

Post#5 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 pm

My sealed Dreamkey 3 arrived and thanks to your help I am now surfing the information superhighway! I googled "what late 90s websites are still online" (from the Dreamcast) and something called "Ask Dr. Internet" came up... this is it :/

Now that I know it works I will move it all upstairs to the Mancave and get the it working over wifi. Then I might try some PSO(v1), never played it at all...

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Stewcumber wrote:My sealed Dreamkey 3 arrived and thanks to your help I am now surfing the information superhighway! I googled "what late 90s websites are still online" (from the Dreamcast) and something called "Ask Dr. Internet" came up... this is it :/

Now that I know it works I will move it all upstairs to the Mancave and get the it working over wifi. Then I might try some PSO(v1), never played it at all...

dreampipe.net <-- DC optimized site :)

Stewcumber
rebel

Post#7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:19 pm

EDIT - Got it fixed and working over Wifi now, I was dumb and didn't follow the instructions properly!

I'm now having issues getting my Pi3 online. I've followed PC Wizards instructions in the "setting up your wifi" video (thank you!), double and triple checked what I've put in but it won't connect to my router.

When I boot it up I get these fails:

Any idea what would cause the "interfaces" options to fail

When I run ifconfig I get this: