The dangers of too many online DC games too soon

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

The dangers of too many online DC games too soon

Post#1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:04 am

Congratulations for getting POD back online! I am continually impressed by the resurrection of online DC games.

But... has anyone considered the potential dangers of too many online DC games? Too many online DC games with a small user base: means that the small number of players are spread thinly around more games. PSO online is the 'bread and butter' of DC online games which you can normally rely on some people being online nearly all the time. But with the addition of more games this means that players may be taken away from this game and the general feeling of online users will be more 'empty'.

This also applies to other situations. I used to organise music events and a small venue with 100 people will feel more busy and attract more people that night than a large venue with 150 people which will eventually die out.

Basically it may be better to have a busy small community playing 8 quality online games than a small community playing 15 online games.

I dont mean to sound like the voice of doom but sometimes less is more. The can of worms has been opened...

What are your thoughts on this Shu?
Last edited by Anonymouse on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: The dangers of too many online DC games too soon

Post#2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:33 am

git organise bro
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#3 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:35 am

delet the vidyagaems
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

cool56571
noob

Post#4 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:44 am

thats the reason game night and game night uk were created to stop that

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:58 am

More online games = more players. The active player count on DC Now went up by about 50 after Monaco went online.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 am

I feel like you are starting some unnecessary drama here with this post....

Id say everyone in this community wants more games and are extremly happy and greatful that Shu has extended the online library of games for Dreamcast.

Thats like if you buy a new console and only have 8 games to play vs 15 or more. Gamers always want more options.

More online games = more players as pc said

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#7 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 am

the only danger of too many games is depleting your bank account if you want retail copies of all of them...

Shuouma
Developer

Post#8 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:59 am

Hey

From my point of view, I bring back games for preservation. What the community
then does with it, that is up to them.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#9 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:04 am

youre costing me money...

:lol:

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#10 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:16 am

Thank you all for your replies.

It is good to hear everyone's point of view. It's important to consider everyone's thoughts. I'm glad to hear that everyone thinks this will bring in more players And from what pc said it appears to have.

I am very keen to help the online community grow, that is why I voiced this consideration.

I am very grateful for everything Shu and others have done for the community and donate monthly on Patreon.

Thank you again for the replies
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart