POD SpeedZone Is Back Online!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Shuouma
Developer

Re: POD SpeedZone Is Back Online!

Post#71 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:01 pm

u need to create a account mstar, but I see that you understood that now

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#72 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:22 pm

mstar wrote:Invalid configuration file, although i've the DNS config right i guess....

Using a BBA, although using DHCP... Guess i'll try with Static again...

It works with static ip tab with bba but you need look for a local ip that your router assign to your dc and enter it as ip address, gateway and mask also can be found in router settings.

Shuouma
Developer

Post#73 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Update the server with better handling of stale sessions

colgate
Doom

Post#74 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Really cool thanks

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

superman200x
undertow

Post#75 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:22 pm

super cool I just got this game and glad i did super fun game :)

Shuouma
Developer

Post#76 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Finally got time to fix a bug that crashed the server from time to time, *fixed*

Iggi
noob

PAL vs. NTSC speed differences

Post#77 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:55 am

I fear I have to report a bug.

Introduction
A lot of months ago, in my first ever online game of POD 2, I happened to try it during a game night. And surprisingly I won all the games - by far! What made me a bit suspicious about my unexpected victories was the fact that - even though I always crossed the finish line first - the round and track records were always awarded to someone else. That defied any logic.

Observation
For that reason I decided to also buy the US version of the game and did several tests with Mickschen. And it confirmed my suspicion: When playing the PAL version of the game, I'm way faster than my opponent with the US version. I'm assuming 20% faster - the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz maybe?

Setup
Output: VGA (Sega box)
Connection: It doesn't matter whether I'm connected via modem using DreamPi (PAL, US) or the Broadband Adapter (US)
Dreamcast: PAL model(s)

Now I'm wondering: Is this a known problem?
If I can do anything to debug this any further please just tell me. I'm happy with the US version now (especially due to the BBA support), but I was really puzzled when seeing this happen :-) Unfortunately I hadn't played POD 2 when the original servers were still online, so I don't know how it behaved back then...

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: PAL vs. NTSC speed differences

Post#78 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:28 am

Iggi wrote:For that reason I decided to also buy the US version of the game and did several tests with Mickschen. And it confirmed my suspicion: When playing the PAL version of the game, I'm way faster than my opponent with the US version. I'm assuming 20% faster - the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz maybe?

Just tested this and I can say for certain that there's no difference between the PAL and US versions of the game as far as speed is concerned. See the video below which shows both games running side-by-side on the same track with the same car. I just held accelerate the whole time. As you can tell, they're identical.

What you're seeing online is most likely lag related. It may seem like you crossed the finish line first but you actually didn't. Luckily the game will always pick the correct winner, regardless of what the outcome looked like.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

mickschen
core

Post#79 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Iggi wrote:For that reason I decided to also buy the US version of the game and did several tests with Mickschen. And it confirmed my suspicion: When playing the PAL version of the game, I'm way faster than my opponent with the US version. I'm assuming 20% faster - the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz maybe?

Just tested this and I can say for certain that there's no difference between the PAL and US versions of the game as far as speed is concerned. See the video below which shows both games running side-by-side on the same track with the same car. I just held accelerate the whole time. As you can tell, they're identical.

What you're seeing online is most likely lag related. It may seem like you crossed the finish line first but you actually didn't. Luckily the game will always pick the correct winner, regardless of what the outcome looked like.

HI, im mickschen :D

Thx iggi.

So @pcwizard, yester i played with some guys in a 4er group and one of them had teh pal version and he was faster!
He won the game but i had the faster times. You know, he was 20-30 secons slower but won the game :D

And i had to say, Iggi and i tested a lot. And the only difference between us is that i have a pal multibios console. We booth tested the BBA with NTSC, and we switched to ntsc with dreampi.
The strange thing was that when i used the Pal version from this game i had no speed up issue. But when Iggi take the pal version, he won the game but i have the better race time.
He had no multibios like me.

What do you think about that? I dont have to work till april. If you have time and different consoles at home, we can test it together if you want!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#80 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:50 pm

mickschen wrote:So @pcwizard, yester i played with some guys in a 4er group and one of them had teh pal version and he was faster!
He won the game but i had the faster times. You know, he was 20-30 secons slower but won the game :D

What do you think about that? I dont have to work till april. If you have time and different consoles at home, we can test it together if you want!

That doesn't really match up with what I've seen. In fact it's about the opposite. I've played quite a bit of POD, most of the time against all PAL players, and I tend to win a lot of the time. If there was really a difference, I'm sure I wouldn't win nearly as much. And I'm certainly not fantastic at this game. Maybe just average. lol

I'm happy to test it with you if you want though. I did talk to Shuouma as well and he agrees that it's likely an lag-related issue.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live