Dreamcast Websites

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Slurmking
lithium

Dreamcast Websites

Post#1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:28 am

Hello all, I recently decided I want to develop a website for the Dreamcast in my spare time to help with my webdesign skills and to also get a better Idea of how web technology worked in the past.

Because of this I am asking for any tips / guides with creating sites that interface with the Dreamcast and any of the following information would be useful

• Limitations on dreamcast browsers and HTML versions
  • Tips on uploading/downloading Dreamcast game saves
  • Methods of telling the web server if you are running the site on a dreamcast
  • Ideas for Dreamcast related content people would like to see

Also I don't want you guys to think I'm being lazy and not wanting to research this information on my own but everything I can find about dreamcast web development and interfacing is full of dead links or is down right missing.
Turns out people stopped caring about Dreamcast websites since no one could get online and it is old technology

Finally I will post all of my findings in handy guides and try to keep this information publicly available in a single location so situations like this don't happen again, think of it as a Dreamcast restoration project if you will.

Slurmking
lithium

Re: Dreamcast Websites

Post#2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 pm

I did some research and figured out it is possible to load videos on Dreamcast web browsers but the need to be in a certain format called Sofdec, there is some file converts to convert avi files to the correct format so I will see what I can do to host some videos.

There is also some embedd scripts for the Dreamcast to interact with the controller such as vibrate controller and scroll text on the screen. Hopefully I will be able to make something cool with this information. Hope to have a sample site up by the end of next week

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm

Slurmking wrote:I did some research and figured out it is possible to load videos on Dreamcast web browsers but the need to be in a certain format called Sofdec, there is some file converts to convert avi files to the correct format so I will see what I can do to host some videos.

There is also some embedd scripts for the Dreamcast to interact with the controller such as vibrate controller and scroll text on the screen. Hopefully I will be able to make something cool with this information. Hope to have a sample site up by the end of next week

You could probably help me and dan do some work on dreampipe.net if you want :) do you have skype? we have a dc skype group chat

thE rZA
dark night

Post#4 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Good idea.
My DC online games: Alien Front Online US,ChuChu Rocket EU,Monaco Grand Prix 2 EU,Planet Ring EU,PSO v1.0 US,Toy Racer EU[/align]

Slurmking
lithium

Post#5 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Xiden wrote:
Slurmking wrote:I did some research and figured out it is possible to load videos on Dreamcast web browsers but the need to be in a certain format called Sofdec, there is some file converts to convert avi files to the correct format so I will see what I can do to host some videos.

You could probably help me and dan do some work on dreampipe.net if you want :) do you have skype? we have a dc skype group chat

Yeah that sounds like fun, PM me the info

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#6 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:09 am

I actually had a website called VimpVMU when the dreamcast was alive that had VMU downloads and was able to play midi files when browsing. The key to making a good Dreamcast compatible website is to use a side frame for the buttons and logo so that they dont have to load each time a page is loaded. This makes is MUCH faster to browse. I also put the code and music player in the side frame so that the music would play continuous while browsing. Ill probably have a back up for the website on a CD at home. You need a cgi bin on the web host to get the midi files to play.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart