DreamPi on Raspberry Pi Zero W?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Rappolt
shadow

Re: DreamPi on Raspberry Pi Zero W?

Post#21 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:38 pm

The best I've found is how to update the 2.6 drivers to 3.1.4, but that's for Fedora. I don't know if Fedora drivers work on RPi.
I also don't know if the 3.1.4 would run on the current 4.14.31

Here's the link: https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthre ... rnel-3-1-4

pelvicthrustman
rebel

Post#22 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:46 pm

Rappolt wrote:The best I've found is how to update the 2.6 drivers to 3.1.4, but that's for Fedora. I don't know if Fedora drivers work on RPi.
I also don't know if the 3.1.4 would run on the current 4.14.31

Here's the link: https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthre ... rnel-3-1-4
@rappolt

Porting C drivers between Kernel versions will require you to have a reasonable understanding of Linux Kernel drivers in general as well as the differences between the kernel versions (especially given the many years separating them), in addition to a basic understanding of Linux in general. If you'd like to learn how to do it then you can certainly treat this as a learning opportunity. Unfortunately it's unlikely you'll find a simple, readily available solution.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Rappolt
shadow

Post#23 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:51 am

I really don't know where to start, and I don't see learning Linux to be too beneficial to my future, sadly.
Considering the people at Linuxant haven't updated the drivers at all, either the team dissolved or they've deemed it to grueling of a task to take; and they're the ones already practiced in drivers specifically for these chipsets. I'll just resort to loading old Linux on an old netbook and using that as a second or third unit.

I've gotten one of the $18 modems in, so I'll be testing that for a bit and I'll report back if it's a hardware modem or soft.
If my RPi doesn't have internet, will the DC still report that the modem dialed successfully? I'm wondering, in case my connection to the Dreamcast servers is busted, which I'm suspecting because of the failed Dreamcast Now thing.

pelvicthrustman
rebel

Post#24 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:59 am

The dial in will probably succeed without the internet - it just won't actually be able to do anything. If you want to observe the dial in process just use a web browser like XDP - you should be able to watch the modem data as it dials in.

To test if your DreamPi has internet just run 'ping 8.8.8.8' from the prompt.

Rappolt
shadow

Post#25 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:32 am

Thanks. I'm gonna get back to it tomorrow.
At the very least, with lsusb, one of the $18 ones didn't say anything about being a softmodem like it did with the software one.
I still have to make another LVI board, because the first is attached to the other modem. Hopefully a 4.7uF cap is fine, lol.

Rappolt
shadow

Post#26 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:41 pm

The first $18 modem by EAS worked: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012I ... UTF8&psc=1
At least on this cheap one, the modem won't get its second light unless the Pi has an internet connection, so you can't test if just your DC->Pi stuff works. It has to be the whole system working.
The second $18.50 modem will be here APr 5-10, and the USR5637 will be here today, but we know that one works.

I'm able to use a WiFi dongle and connect to the internet on my DC, which I used to run "sudo apt-get update" "sudo apt-get upgrade" and "sudo apt-get dist-update" (the last two appear to do the same thing), but I RPZW still won't detect its on-board WiFI/BT chip.

dragoncity
rebel

Post#27 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Hello !

I tried too,and with this command "sudo rpi-update" (only this !!),the wifi work ! :D

BUT when I test with "DreamKey 3.0",I have the connection but the page does not load, it turns in a loop! :o

So..maybe there is just an solution for ONLY add driver WIFI? :roll: