Dreamcast.online not capturing Q3A

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

BLueSS
dark night

Dreamcast.online not capturing Q3A

Post#1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Last night I was playing Q3A with TacT and the entire time dreamcast.online showed that I was playing AlienFront Online instead of Quake 3 Arena.

What's the best way to report/help fix this? :)
Thanks!

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast.online not capturing Q3A

Post#2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 pm

I second this ! Half the time DC-now reports me in the wrong title !

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:30 am

It's not easy for this to just "work". It has been tweaked here and there but, unfortunately, it is not a simple fix.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:25 pm

I still vote letting having an option to let users set what game they are in. Fix all our problems :)

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#5 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:34 pm

that would save me the trouble of starting pool twice whenever i play...

i start it once without the save to get it to show the game.. then again with the save to play...

also.. played some 4x4 EVO today.. which usually shows fine for me.. and it didnt work this time...

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Xiden wrote:I still vote letting having an option to let users set what game they are in. Fix all our problems :)

That wouldn't work because DC Now needs the game to be reported at regular intervals to know if the player is still online. Once it stops receiving reports from DreamPi, it shows the player as offline.

I'm working with Kazade to try and fix games like Pool and occasionally 4x4 Evo that don't show up. Maximum Pool needs some custom software to detect the game since it doesn't send out DNS lookups when you have a save file on the VMU (since the server IPs are stored in the save file and don't need to be looked up). 4x4 is still a mystery at the moment. It seems to just randomly show up. Every time I go to packet log the game and figure out the issue, it works fine; so that's a bit frustrating.

On the original topic, there's no reason at all why Q3A wouldn't show up. Some people have issues with DC Now in general which I can only assume is down to a local network issue.

Edit: I found the problem with 4x4! We're going to try and figure out a solution but in the meantime a temporary fix is to stay at the GameSpy login screen for about 10 seconds before proceeding to the server list. The game should show up if you do this.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#7 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:55 pm

It depends on how much activity there is on your DreamPi DNS server. If there are a lot of requests happening then there is a chance that DreamPi will end up not parsing the relevant line containing the DNS request for Q3A. I think DreamPi only checks the last 10 lines of your Pi's syslog file every 15 seconds. It seems like the opposite problem could also occur where DreamPi will keep finding an old request, stop parsing the syslog file at that point and then report the old request instead of finding the request for the current game being played.