PSO game save, saving techniques

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mr_everdread
undertow

PSO game save, saving techniques

Post#1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering what am I supposed to do to prevent corrupted save files with PSO?
I was playing today for the first time after dropping a small fortune to get my Dreamcast online lol.
The game crashed 5 minutes in and i had to start a new game and make a new character and all that stuff. But then after that I was able to play for an hour no problems, good times. Any way if it crashed again, I'd be pissed!
How do you avoid this? I copied my file to another vmu but i noticed there​ is a file that is not able to be copied.
What do you guys do??

Thanks for any help!

everynewday84
Nemesis

Re: PSO game save, saving techniques

Post#2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi there, welcome to the dctalk community! First, congrats on your sound investments.

I'll assume you are playing on the sylverant server. There, You can save you file to the server with the /enablebk command. Simply type /enablebk while you are in the lobby. If your file ever corrupts, you can restore using the /restorebk command!
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

jial
Developer

Post#3 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:49 am

Hi, with dream explorer you can unlock save files , so you will able to make a copy in other vmu. that's another solution

Kurasiu
fire

Post#4 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:04 am

Hey and welcome!
I never had an issue like this before. The game (PSOv2) hard-crashed for me twice while I was playing online, but the only thing I lost was the money, non-equipped items and level progress since the last server save (from what I know the server forces the save/sync every time you buy something or change locations). Nothing wrong with the save file after that - just a message saying I lost Meseta and items, and that I should use the Quit command from the menu, while loading that save.

mr_everdread
undertow

Post#5 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Aha, ok. Server backup. thank you! I though I read something about that, but thought it was only PC users for some reason.
Will also look into this dream explorer looks pretty cool.

Would you guys say this whole bringing your dreamcast back online thing is gaining popularity? or was that a couple years ago and now I'm too late? Noticed there's not a lot of people playing PSO.

Strik3r91
letterbomb

Post#6 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Hello there are many people playing pso, try checking out dreamcastlive.net for gaming nights lineups xD
From love, with Russia :)

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Does copying to other VMUs really work for like using another Dreamcast ? No because your Dreamcast is unique and it's the only one that can tie with your characater ?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#8 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Your characters are not tied to a specific Dreamcast. All you have to do is erase the flash memory on the new Dreamcast and then save your old serials to the flash memory, and then your old characters will load on the new Dreamcast.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Whoa .. amazin ! Erase flash memory how gotta get inside er XDP browser disc ?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:02 pm

Edit function poofed ..

Interesting it's that easy to carry on your PSO progress across various Dreamcast units .. because in ChuChu they're hard-tied (l0l) I had Shuouma nuke my first account since my nick too long for it