Finding RJ11 wire for LVI

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

JaymesKeller
noob

Finding RJ11 wire for LVI

Post#1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:41 pm

So, I've been trying to get my dreamcast online for a while, and while I could just use the BBA, I feel like I would be missing out on all the cool stuff that's been brought back. So, I tried using a Dynalink V1456VQE PC modem for it to work, and no dice.

After fighting it, I decided to check the voltage. 12V, nowhere near enough for the 18V for the modem to work. So, I'm going down the USB modem route, which means building an LVI. Getting the parts is easy enough, except for one problem.

I live in the UK, and trying to find cable that has the right colour scheme and wiring isn't easy. Any pointers I can use?

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: Finding RJ11 wire for LVI

Post#2 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:19 am

It usually is always a red wire for the voltage, I've never heard of that not being the case

Building a voltage inducer is really simple. Just get a "Helping Hand Soldering Station" for like $10 and it makes everything much easier

PCwrd13 has a diagram in his dreampi tutorial video, it's just connecting wires in sequence

Tip though, you can melt the plastic off the red wire using a lighter, obviously be careful, don't char the wire, but the internal wires are frustratingly fragile and hard to strip. That's the hardest part is starting the wire

One other thing is using hot glue to secure the joints ensures it will last virtually forever because again those phone wires are really fragile
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#3 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:40 am

The color is just an indicator, doesn't have to be exactly the same, what's important is that the voltage is induced to the right wire, the transmission one. Also, the cable doesn't have to have two pairs of wires (4 wires), you can use a phone cable with only one pair of wires (2 wires), because even though the Dreamcast modem has 4 pins, most Conexant USB modems only have 2.

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#4 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:09 am

If you find a cable with only two wires, you can put the voltage on either of them, and color doesn't matter. If you're looking at one of the RJ-11 connectors on the cable, the voltage needs to be on one of the two pins in the middle (if there are 6 pins, then voltage needs to be on pin 3 or 4).