Unplayable lag when trying Quake 3, EU inducer

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Adamer
shadow

Unplayable lag when trying Quake 3, EU inducer

Post#1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Hello, I'm new here!
I have a Dell modem, Model B modem, I've made 4 inducers (I've had to buy at least 5 things of most stuff, so I decided I might as well use them) for 18V. Using DreamPi. I connect just fine, when I check the servers, the best "speed" for EU based server is at half. When I try to connect, I get there just fine, but the lag is so bad it's unplayable. It pushes me back constantly, then it gets me forward randomly, just horrendous lag. To clarify, I am using US version of Quake 3. Is it a reason why it doesn't work? Only other game I tried was PAL Chu Chu Rocket, and it hangs when logging in or something. Is there any other game that would work OOB? Thanks is advance!

Also, to get back to the fact I've made 4 inducers (5 really, but the first one was even cruder prototype than the later ones and without casing), I don't really need 3 spare inducers. Not intending to make bank off them, I would like at least offset the amount I paid for the parts, so if anybody in EU is interested, I would like to sell them. It is far from being a work of art, but it is at least in a casing and you just have to connect it using microUSB and two RJ11 cables (RJ45/11 combo socket, not really great but it works).
Photo of all 3 of them I don't need:

Adamer
shadow

Re: Unplayable lag when trying Quake 3, EU inducer

Post#2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:40 am

Nobody? Not even a game recommendation?

jial
Developer

Post#3 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:28 am

Sorry I don´t have any idea what could happen

tmjwid
Anarki

Post#4 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am

Are you playing on wifi or ethernet? Also I do not know if the eu modem function the same but the US modem I use gets capped at 33.6kbps because of the upload rate of the usb modem. I don't know if the eu modem hits this speed as well but if it gets capped lower then it might cause the problem.

I'm not at home to test the eu server to see if it is playing up but I just logged onto the server hosting it and it's running fine.

Adamer
shadow

Post#5 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:00 am

Playing on ethernet. Not sure about the speeds, but I didn't see anybody complain about it, so I assume this shouldn't be a problem. But is looks like ping issue or something. Any other game I should try? Maybe a way to test a speed between Pi and DC?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#6 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Well, I do know this; the most reliable games are Max Pool PSO and 4x4 Evo. Q3A will work but will always be brutal on any form of dial-up mostly when one of the other players are using a BBA or playing on PC. All of the others fall into another realm being there are factors that make one game work and the other not work for you which varies between players/location/hardware/internet provider.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Adamer
shadow

Post#7 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:55 am

Well, I worked it out. I have had DreamPi ready to use for quite some time. It was still version 1.5. I tried 1.6 and the lag is pretty much gone now, US based servers now have much better ping and all of them seemed pretty much playable. I don't understand what exactly has changed, but it works now. Thanks!

Other than this, I'm still looking to get rid of the inducers, so if anybody is interested in them, leave me a message.