Another PSO thread..

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MastaG
Quad Damage

Another PSO thread..

Post#1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:34 am

Hi there,

I have a Dreamcast with a BBA, an IDE CF-card slot, a working GD-Rom drive and dual bios chips with a switch to select between Japanse cake (for booting discs) and DreamShell bios (which boots RetroDream directly from CF-card).

I only use the disc drive for purchased indie games such as Intrepid Izzy and Postal though.
For all old stuff I simply boot into RetroDream.

Now I see these videos on YouTube of people still playing PSO online and I want to do that as well, because I never owned the game as a kid.

Now I'd rather run it from RetroDream instead of a burned disc (less wear on the drive, faster loading etc..).

But where do I start?
Is it true that sylverant is the only online service which still has people playing it?
If yes, I read that it requires an original serial right?
So I should buy the game somewhere to get a working serial and then just load up the GDI in RetroDream?

I do have the internet connection working using the BBA and XDP browser, but which DNS server should I use?

So many questions lol..

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Another PSO thread..

Post#2 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:12 am

Ives' CDIs are day+night compared to the GD. Absolutely tender the drive goes silent in comparison and you autoconnect to Sylverant so pop that in whichever storage medium you choose

Yes it's the only EP1+EP2 service that sees players playing basically 24/7

As to SNAK (serial number+access key) you'd like to have one a genuine PSO just for the few events that kill-track kill-count in freeplay in campaign mode, otherwise you've access to all with shared SNAKs

EDIT: DNS I've set to DreamPi's I don't know off top of head, seemingly it's what you boot that determines where direct

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#3 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:14 pm

So I basically set the DNS to DreamPi and burn one of Ives' CDI files.
Is there also GDI image available for booting through DreamShell/RetroDream?
I could try and create a LBA0 iso though.
Also as a working serial is required, can you recommended a good place to buy one? (So I not get scammed with a serial already in use by someone else)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:19 pm

Just FYI, if you play via DreamShell, there's a bug where you can't revive/heal/buff other players. It works fine otherwise but if you care about helping your team, it may not be the best option. lol
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:11 pm

If the SNAK was registered before you just show BlueCrab it's in your possession that youse the current owner

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#6 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:32 pm

Thanks guys.
I'll just buy the game and burn the CDI's then :)

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#7 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:39 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Just FYI, if you play via DreamShell, there's a bug where you can't revive/heal/buff other players. It works fine otherwise but if you care about helping your team, it may not be the best option. lol

Also with loader 0.7.x ?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:58 pm

MastaG wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:Just FYI, if you play via DreamShell, there's a bug where you can't revive/heal/buff other players. It works fine otherwise but if you care about helping your team, it may not be the best option. lol

Also with loader 0.7.x ?

Yes, I've tried them all. I think it's more of an anti-cheat measure than a bug. The game likely detects that there's something wrong with the way it's booting/running and cripples your ability to help teammates as a result. Just a guess but I believe that's it.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:08 pm

Ives' CDIs are technical breakthrus, impressive feats all around

When I begun PSO I held back on that until a week later, the GD was really trashing my poor cast up, think it's the shit alphabetized filesort it shipped like

You do want it and for its SNAK alone, verify with seller for a sticker intact in the jewel case beneath where disc sits

EDIT: Right I think BlueCrab decided have killcount during events in any mode be it campaign or quests, rack em up :mrgreen:

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#10 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:40 pm

Thanks my friends.
I'll just go with Ives' discs and see if I can get an original PSOv2 disc with the serial intact somewhere.