How to schedule a game meet *Please Read

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Impulse
Admin

How to schedule a game meet *Please Read

Post#1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:40 am

Simple Rules for scheduling a game;

1. Put the date and time of the meet in the title and body of post.
2. Put the time zone you are in.
3. Please make a new thread for each separate meet.

Use this map to determine which time zone you are in (click on map to enlarge):

The map is color coded for ease of use. To find the time zone you are in, look at the colored bar at the bottom of the map and match it up to the area you live in. The number is the time zone. Be sure to include the - or + for accuracy.

timezone.png

Have Fun!
-Impulse

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: How to schedule a game meet *Please Read

Post#2 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:31 am

the map neglects to inform you that these times are not during daylight savings time. so if the area you live in observes DST you need to subtract 1. maybe we should ignore DST for the sake of scheduling games?

DC_Tman
fragger

Post#3 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:38 pm

This is mostly my fault. Sorry guys.

I am Central Standard Time.
Disciple of the Ultimate Gaming System

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#4 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Gary_b wrote:the map neglects to inform you that these times are not during daylight savings time. so if the area you live in observes DST you need to subtract 1. maybe we should ignore DST for the sake of scheduling games?

That is a good point regarding the map. However, you will want to add 1 to your timezone offset not subtract 1. Remember the mnemonic, spring forward fall back.

Also, if the people that observe DST ignore DST entirely then they will be posting wrong times for matches since it is still an offset from GMT. People not observing DST will not be affected by the posting of a time relative to DST.

I would suggest that people also check out http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/ for information regarding your location's timezone.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Ryochan7 wrote:
Gary_b wrote:the map neglects to inform you that these times are not during daylight savings time. so if the area you live in observes DST you need to subtract 1. maybe we should ignore DST for the sake of scheduling games?

That is a good point regarding the map. However, you will want to add 1 to your timezone offset not subtract 1. Remember the mnemonic, spring forward fall back.
sorry dude but you have it backwards. for example during the winter my time zone is -5 and in the summer, during DST my time zone is -4. your right about the whole spring forward thing. it is just as it sounds. you turned your clock forward. but in the US we are using Negative numbers on the GMT chart. so to gain an hour you would have to subtract, not add! look at the chart i posted in this thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1157&start=20

you do bring up a good point though. people in the UK would be adding

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#6 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Gary_b wrote:sorry dude but you have it backwards. for example during the winter my time zone is -5 and in the summer, during DST my time zone is -4. your right about the whole spring forward thing. it is just as it sounds. you turned your clock forward. but in the US we are using Negative numbers on the GMT chart. so to gain an hour you would have to subtract, not add! look at the chart i posted in this thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1157&start=20

you do bring up a good point though. people in the UK would be adding

Math time (based on your example)

(-5) - 1 = -6 (Behind by 2 hours)
(-5) + 1 = -4 (Correct)

In my area, my time offset is GMT-6 during the winter and GMT-5 during the summer.

(-6) - 1 = -7 (Behind by 2 hours)
(-6) + 1 = -5 (Correct)

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#7 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:48 pm

i was trying to say (-5) - (-1). but that is improper. it turns into -5 + 1 which is -4. so yes your math is correct. but i was not trying to go into some kind of math lecture. all i was saying to do was to lower -5 by 1 digit to -4 in DST as the chart in my one post shows. you do gain an hour in either case and i hope that people are not lost in the confusion. i should have better articulated what i was saying. but to tell people to add 1 to -5 could confuse every one too. after all you just broke out into a bit of a math lesson.

to be honest we should find an easier way of scheduling games. like all games use UK time for example. you could link to a site like this one http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_GB.aspx it will let everyone know what time it is in the UK and ppl would not have to worry about the time zone they are in or DST.

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#8 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 pm

The main problem before was that you explicitly said "subtract 1" in the one post. That would mean subtract a number by positive one; the difference would matter for people in European countries that observe DST. Math is confusing but fun; except when it is Verizon math.

Also, that is a good site that you put in the last post. The thing is that it looks like the UK is currently GMT+1; I didn't know that they observed DST. It might slightly complicate things more to use UK time as opposed to just using GMT. This time problem is one thing that OC takes care of relativity well since the Game Schedule section uses mods for PHPBB to take care of the time conversions for you.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#9 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Ryochan7 wrote:Also, that is a good site that you put in the last post. The thing is that it looks like the UK is currently GMT+1; I didn't know that they observed DST.
they don't! they observe BST, "British summer time". i know that you are referring to them changing their clocks as most of us here do with DST. but i can reword shit and make it seem to be inaccurate too. point is that i was talking about subtracting 1 from -5. 1 being 1 negative hour. after all it is negative hours that we are referring to here. i never laid it out into some kind of equation. maybe i should have?

so here for the record (-5) - (-1) = (-4) if you don't believe me get out your trusty calculator and test it.

Ryochan7 i get the feeling that you knew exactly what i meant from the beginning. you never asked me to explain what i was referring to. you may not have looked at the chart i told you to look at either. if you did it probably would have been clearer. i suspect that you knew that you was just playing a word game from the beginning.

btw you are right about OC's game scheduler, it is very nice. it takes care of most the confusion. i wonder if DC-talk could get something like that?

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#10 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:39 pm

True. They call it BST but I just consider it a different label. It is the same concept but I should use the right label. Anyway, I don't think you understand what I meant with the last post. The whole point was the use of the numeral 1 instead of -1. You are talking about negative numbers but you can't omit signs with numbers otherwise confusion will come up and a calculation will be done incorrectly if done as stated; your assumption of exclusively using negative numbers was not stated in your original post but in subsequent posts. If it were stated as "subtract -1" then it would have been fine.

Anyway, back to the original problem at hand. I don't know what other input I could give. A software solution would probably be the best approach but it would come with issues as well. I am fine with the current method of using timezone offsets and I will just use that method when posting times.