First time playing(again) Freeze when loading quest

Moderator: pcwzrd13

nattybohman
noob

First time playing(again) Freeze when loading quest

Post#1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:04 am

Hey guys,
I just started getting back online with my Dreamcast and my EU PSOv2 original.
I'm planning on joining Saturday's event, so I figured I'd go online and get used to the controls again.
I got online fine, went to the Vega server and created an open party.
When went to load a quest, it froze up on me (audio skipping and everything).
I tried a different retrieval quest and got the same thing.

Is this usually a server side thing or is there something that I can do to resolve this?

Thanks!

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Re: First time playing(again) Freeze when loading quest

Post#2 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:47 am

The best solution would be to download "Phantasy Star Online Ver2 (Enhancement Pack Auto-connect Offline Map Pack) FIX" ISO from The ISO Zone. This ISO is much better than the original GD-ROM
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#3 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:26 am

While I agree that having a fast loading CD-R is better than using a GD-ROM, FSOD when you load a quest is probably a network problem, not a disc problem. Have you checked your router's MTU? The only person I can remember who had this problem was only able to fix it by changing his ISP, because he was using some dorm ISP that sucked and didn't like PSO, IIRC. :/
"Fear the HUnewearl."

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:11 pm

I would also chime in and say that it is probably a network issue. Did you try on a different ship other than Vega? I suggest trying either Iselia or Altimira, as they're the two that are hosted at the same place as the rest of the parts of the server (that is to say, by me).

I'd find it somewhat unlikely to fix the issue, but you could try cleaning your Dreamcast's laser with some rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol on a cotton swab and see if that helps.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 am

I am the user IVES was talking about. An apartment I had about 5 years ago had some free but junk internet. Just a CAT5 cable sticking out of the wall. I could play games on it just fine, but with PSO as soon as I'd load up a quest it would freeze, and even corrupt my character into a fat HUmar NPC. The solution for me was changing the MTU settings in my router. PSO I guess likes the nice rounded out number of 1400. Try doing that and see if it works.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:54 am

I knew that changing the MTU had worked for at least one person!
"Fear the HUnewearl."