Which Utopia Version Works Well with VGA Boxes (Retro-Bit)

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

alvin777
photon blast

Which Utopia Version Works Well with VGA Boxes (Retro-Bit)

Post#1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Hi. Which Utopia version works very well with VGA boxes like Retro-Bit? I'm trying to run NTSC-J discs (especially House of the Dead 2 and Soul Caliber) on an NTSC-U Dreamcast.

Thank you in advance. Belated happy Easter.

God bless, Rev. 21:4

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: Which Utopia Version Works Well with VGA Boxes (Retro-Bi

Post#2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Forget about the Utopia disc, it's outdated. Go for a DC-X import enabler disc or a Xploder Demo-disc, those two can boot imports without a sweat and support VGA.

alvin777
photon blast

Post#3 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:31 am

Hi. I have yet to buy DC-X or Xploder Demo (it's hard to find here) but in the mean time (I just need a quick test on the lens of the Dreamcast I just bought, how mint it is) coz' I need to test it with my NTSC-J House of the Dead 2 (the .CDI ones that can be downloaded they changed the voices and music, it kind destroyed the original atmosphere). Any recommendations which Utopia in the mean time would best work with an NTSC-U and VGA Box (Retro bit brand). Thank you. Belated happy Easter.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:57 am

If you want to run retail GD-ROM discs from other regions than your DC is, the Utopia boot disc is definitely not the way to go because (as far as I know), the Utopia boot disc is meant to boot non selfbooting BURNT games, NOT retail games from other regions. (Supposedly the two boot methods are different.)

For that purpose as Wombat said, DC-X import, Xploder or Codebreaker should be used, as those were designed to boot retail games from other regions. Even if you can't find a legit copy, I'd suggest burning a copy of one of these, instead of a Utopia boot disc.