Super Mario 64 port and 1ST_READ.bin file. Please help!!!

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CrisMod
lithium

Super Mario 64 port and 1ST_READ.bin file. Please help!!!

Post#1 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:07 am

Hello guys,

I have created successfully with the Dreamcast SDK the port of Super Mario 64 for Dreamcast.

The funny thing, it's that, I have found billions of little tools and guide for Dreamcast, to create the CDI for burn to the physical CD or GDI to use in Dreamshell.
But with the blood that come out from my nose ;) , I still not get the clear point, maybe because to create the files for Dreamcast I still noob (but I come from a lot of mod consoles worlds), maybe because I have found a mix of old and relatevely new tools and guide with a mix that some one works only in the old OS 32Bit, or maybe because I never went so deep about. But the fact it's that I didn't understand anything to create the final file.
So, I need gently some one that tell me step by step what to do with my scrambled binary file called 1ST_READ.BIN?!
So for my understanding I need a file IP.BIN that can be created custom or standard, should be the file that need the console to make the logo boot, right?
All right, after this scrambled binary file 1ST_READ.BIN, which tool exactly I have to use and which steps I have to do for 64bit OS? Can you please list me out with the numbers like 1), 2), 3) and so on what I need to do to achieve the format CDI ready to be burned and the GDI file to be bootable with Dreamshell?

Sorry for my noob situation , but really I'm confused about.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Super Mario 64 port and 1ST_READ.bin file. Please help!!!

Post#2 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:36 pm

I'm not sure to understand what do you want exactly and if the game Has an update recently too.
Sorry for m'y poor english.

Extract IP.bin from cdi of Mario 64 Dreamcast with gdrom explorer made by japanese_cake.
Use binhack to patch the lba.
Do you want to build a new . CDI ?

CrisMod
lithium

Post#3 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:33 pm

fafadou wrote:I'm not sure to understand what do you want exactly and if the game Has an update recently too.
Sorry for m'y poor english.

Extract IP.bin from cdi of Mario 64 Dreamcast with gdrom explorer made by japanese_cake.
Use binhack to patch the lba.
Do you want to build a new . CDI ?

Hi @fafadou, thanks to replay me.
No man, I didn't mean like that, I try to explain better ;) ....

I have Builded by my self the Super Mario 64 port for Dreamcast (mrneo240), and this package building it generates the scrambled binary file called 1ST_READ.BIN.
So, with this scrambled 1ST_READ.BIN what I need to do next? I need someone here that explain me what to do next with this file and which tools I have to use for it, to tranform it in new CDI/GDI readable for Dreamcast and Dreamshell.
Because, I want modify and create different mod of Super Mario 64 for Dreamcast. So, I'm NOT usign the already ready CDI of Super Mario 64, but I'm going to create / test my own mods from zero.

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#5 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:04 am

You can also use my nightly build compiled using kos testing.
https://mega.nz/folder/DlNTTCSR#zCEm6bT_bBXQb5fSyzeVaw

It contains an image for DreamShell/RetroDream, selfboot image and even the scrambled and unscrambled binary with IP.BIN for creating you own thing.

CrisMod
lithium

Post#6 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:11 am

Ian Micheal wrote:use boot dreams and make a selfboot cdi

@Ian Micheal, short and pricious thank you sosososososo much man. It's working like a charm with burned CD-ROM....

Now, I have the working CDI.
So, next, I did try to use it with Dreamshell/ RETRODREAM with internal SSD Mod (in IDE mode), I have tried to settled the address to 8c000100 and use the Loader 6.1 gcc-5.2 that so far can arrive to the voice IP.BIN Loading and stuck on that, so the game it doesn't start. I have tested with other Loaders versions, but nothing the game doesn't start.
So my questions it's, with this CDI imagine it's working only with the physical CD-ROM; what I should do now to transform it in something that Dreamshell/ RETRODREAM can read?
I have to use some other tools? Otherwise for test different mods on it I need to drop billions of CD-ROM.... :D

CrisMod
lithium

Post#7 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:17 am

MastaG wrote:You can also use my nightly build compiled using kos testing.
https://mega.nz/folder/DlNTTCSR#zCEm6bT_bBXQb5fSyzeVaw

It contains an image for DreamShell/RetroDream, selfboot image and even the scrambled and unscrambled binary with IP.BIN for creating you own thing.

;), thanks a lot about these files, but I would like to learn first how to do by my self these variations of files.... Because I need to build the MODS game variations, so, unfortunately I cannot use these files.
If you know, how the Creator of this archive make all of them; you can really help on my purpose....

Really , really thanks guys

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:26 am

siwowes wrote:

@Ian Micheal, short and pricious thank you sosososososo much man. It's working like a charm with burned CD-ROM....

So, next, I did try to use it with Dreamshell/ RETRODREAM with internal SSD Mod (in IDE mode), I have tried to settled the address to 8c000100 and use the Loader 6.1 gcc-5.2 that so far can arrive to the voice IP.BIN Loading and stuck on that, so the game it doesn't start. I have tested with other Loaders versions, but nothing the game doesn't start.
So my questions it's, with this CDI imagine it's working only with the physical CD-ROM; what I should do now to transform it in something that Dreamshell/ RETRODREAM can read?
I have to use some other tools? Otherwise for test different mods on it I need to drop billions of CD-ROM.... :D

On dreamshell you have to use iso make tools make a sd iso it's unscrambled 1st_read.bin cdi will not work

http://www.dc-swat.ru/download/dc/ds/4. ... ck_v2.4.7z these tools have what you need to make a SD iso

CrisMod
lithium

Post#9 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:30 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
siwowes wrote:

On dreamshell you have to use iso make tools make a sd iso it's unscrambled 1st_read.bin cdi will not work

http://www.dc-swat.ru/download/dc/ds/4. ... ck_v2.4.7z these tools have what you need to make a SD iso

Ok man, I'm going to download and try..... ;) thanks a lot for your support

CrisMod
lithium

Post#10 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 am

Ok, here come the problem, I have put the same 1ST_READ.BIN and the IP.BIN that I use to build the CDI into the "/ISO_Make_pack_v2.4/data/" on the read file there is wrote these instructions:
With this package you can create images for the module DreamShell - isoldr.
Put all files (and IP.BIN) from CD/Image to the "data" directory and click 2 times on the file hack_lba.bat and then create_iso.bat

I have followed this above , i run the hack_lba.bat (nothing happen except of 1 second of pop-up command screen) and then run create_iso.bat. So the file it creates an ISO file but when I copy into the SD card and run Dreamshell with the specs of address to 8c000100 and use the Loader 6.1 gcc-5.2, it gives me the error of Filed! It seems that cannot read the iso file.
So, where I mistake on that?