vf4 naomi -> DC?

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

link9133
shadow

vf4 naomi -> DC?

Post#1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:53 pm

This has been echoed forever I know and I apologize for my ignorance. I really don't have the technical understanding on why this isnt feasible. I know the naomi 2 had more ram than its katana sibling. Is there a way to cache some data to bypass the memory limitations? My understanding is that this is a WINCE function that helped japanese cake with aes4all, BTW way I love SVC chaos on dc it just feels right. Again I am aware that I lack the understanding to be able to articulate the specifics to accomplish this.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: vf4 naomi -> DC?

Post#2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:38 pm

link9133 wrote:This has been echoed forever I know and I apologize for my ignorance. I really don't have the technical understanding on why this isnt feasible. I know the naomi 2 had more ram than its katana sibling. Is there a way to cache some data to bypass the memory limitations? My understanding is that this is a WINCE function that helped japanese cake with aes4all, BTW way I love SVC chaos on dc it just feels right. Again I am aware that I lack the understanding to be able to articulate the specifics to accomplish this.

Vf 4 on naomi 2. Naomi 2 has way way more memory but that isnt even the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that naomi 2 has added hardware in the form on a tnl chip that can do 5 million polygons with 6 lights at 60 frames per second according to demul emulator author. Has its own format for its geometry and its own ram pool to boot. Then it even has 2 of the same dreamcast gpu.

So no straight porting wont work its very different from the dreamcast. More memory added hardware.