Yahoo Groups is Deleting Almost All Content - Dreamcast Web Browser Groups and Other DC Groups Too!

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Yahoo Groups is Deleting Almost All Content - Dreamcast Web Browser Groups and Other DC Groups Too!

Post#1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:46 am

I am so sad to see the demise of the Dreamcast groups as well as others on Yahoo Groups. I used to be an active user on the Dreamcast browser groups where we'd chat mostly about cool discoveries with the Dreamcast Web browsers and the cool technical things like JavaScript scripts which people created to use in the browsers to give them new functionality. They'd make them available for all the members to bookmark as bookmarklets, use to improve their browsing, and to possibly improve with their own code changes. They were such nice communities!

Eventually most people's disinterest and the overly active spammers ruined any good chance at having a conversation. The spam buried the useful posts, but if one digs enough, then the information can still be found until Verizon (new owners of Yahoo!) deletes it all this December.

I will miss the camaraderie we had in our groups. It is a shame that so much useful and valuable data will be lost when Verizon / Yahoo deletes it all.

I hope that the VMU files and the PVR's and all of the other awesome Dreamcast data which was once created and shared there is archived somewhere. Just check out these Street Fighter Alpha 3 VMU save files from the DCBG!

_sfa3masters.zip
Street Fighter Alpha 3 VMU save files
(49.55 KiB) Downloaded 411 times

Now only Internet Archive's partial copies of Web sites such as "The Dreamcast Browsers Group: The only Dreamcast browser user group on the Web" in their Wayback Machine are the only way of knowing about these sites and groups that once were. It's such a shame that it will all be gone.

I guess such is the temporal existence of life... and modern digital commerce.

Sources:
https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/16/yah ... shut-down/
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DCBG-Files/info

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Re: Yahoo Groups is Deleting Almost All Content - Dreamcast Web Browser Groups and Other DC Groups Too!

Post#2 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:07 pm

Yeah, I backed up the files from five of the groups I'm in. One of them was super annoying to back-up as the person who created the group is dead and had all messages sent to the group set to require group leader approval, so took it upon myself to farm the e-mails from some of the older messages and notify everyone that way.

One group opted to pay the extortionary $100 fee to transfer his group to some ".io" paid groups website, why I don't know as the group only has five members. Tried to talk him into just opening a free message board account with Proboards or something, but he's extremely old school and favors the group e-mail approach to communicating (strange, but his money to waste).

The other groups simply decided that whatever was to be was to be, but a couple other people said they were likewise backing up the group files for personal archive purposes.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Yahoo Groups is Deleting Almost All Content - Dreamcast Web Browser Groups and Other DC Groups Too!

Post#3 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:00 pm

game_player_s, Is there a way to share any of the info from these backups?
The DC Browser group had some interesting stuff.

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Post#4 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:03 pm

Sadly I wasn't in any Dreamcast related groups, nor was aware of their specific existences.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/

justinbug
shadow

Post#5 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:51 am

thats a shame

beanboy
Wazza

Post#6 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 pm

I heard about these groups years ago. It's a shame they are disappearing though.