Dreamcast reading disc temporarily

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DragonF0RC3
noob

Dreamcast reading disc temporarily

Post#1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:57 pm

Hello!

I just purchased a Dreamcast off Amazon and started to enjoy playing all my old games that I have kept for 18-19 years. However, after playing the game for 5-10 minutes it sounds like the GDROM starts struggling to read the disc then the game freezes. I have watched various youtube videos on how to fix disc reading problems with the Dreamcast and ended up doing the most common fix by turning the potentiator (screw looking thingy) and it worked for a little bit longer than still did the same thing. My game discs are not the issue. Any suggestions on how to attack this problem would be awesome! I would love to start playing Record of Lodoss War soon :D

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Dreamcast reading disc temporarily

Post#2 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 am

You could try to live up the rail which would help the laser move better. That fixed my issue.

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#3 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 am

I believe Mr. V meant to say Lube up the rail. You do with lithium grease, as its a lubricant that wont hurt the electronics in the Dreamcast.

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:You could try to live up the rail which would help the laser move better. That fixed my issue.

DragonF0RC3
noob

Post#4 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:58 pm

Okay thanks! I will try that! :D :D :)

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:43 am

Sega1Dream wrote:I believe Mr. V meant to say Lube up the rail. You do with lithium grease, as its a lubricant that wont hurt the electronics in the Dreamcast.

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:You could try to live up the rail which would help the laser move better. That fixed my issue.

Thank you for the correction.

DragonF0RC3
noob

Post#6 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:37 pm

So i lubed up the rail. It sounds like the laser lens is still struggling to read the disc. I am new to this and want to make sure I am going about this the right way. Before I buy another GD-ROM laser lens, is there any other possible solution to this problem?

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#7 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:04 pm

to be fair keep in mind.. a brand new dreamcast right out of the box sounds like a garbage disposal chewing up tin cans..

if you lubed the rail and adjusted the laser and it still won't read there may be a bigger issue...

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#8 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:28 pm

HuntrRose wrote:to be fair keep in mind.. a brand new dreamcast right out of the box sounds like a garbage disposal chewing up tin cans..

if you lubed the rail and adjusted the laser and it still won't read there may be a bigger issue...

They are really loud when operating normally. Some games really make more noise loading then others too. Depends on how much the laser has to move to load everything.