Dreamcast overclocking

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Dreamcast overclocking

Post#11 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 pm

I would think this would help homebrew like dreamsnes ?

beanboy
Wazza

Post#12 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:22 pm

I don't think I would overclock my dreamcast.
I think I'd be scared to do that. :)

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#13 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 pm

i had an oc dreamcast at one point but it died fairly quick.
it would be nice to have one again.

No1Dopechampion
rebel

Post#14 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:15 pm

Have been running a %10 overclocked DC for about 6 months now without issue. this method does not require you to mess with your VMU's either, which is pretty fab.
Could do with testing more games that suffer with slowdown, as so far most of my collection doesnt suffer with slowdown in the first place. Except PSO which is plagued with it and mod does a nice job of helping the framerate stay more stable

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#15 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:08 pm

No1Dopechampion wrote:Have been running a %10 overclocked DC for about 6 months now without issue. this method does not require you to mess with your VMU's either, which is pretty fab.
Could do with testing more games that suffer with slowdown, as so far most of my collection doesnt suffer with slowdown in the first place. Except PSO which is plagued with it and mod does a nice job of helping the framerate stay more stable

I did a google search and found the easy 10%. I wonder why this has not been posted here. This is EXTREMELY SIMPLE compared to the complication of adding a new XTAL and also overclocking the VMUs.

If this genuinely runs games stable and consistent with reliable saving to stock VMUs then this is an amazing mod. Has anyone else tested this with DreamPi and GDEMU?

Here is the link:

https://www.retrorgb.com/easier-dreamca ... k-mod.html
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#16 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Here is a side by side comparison video on youtube. Im interested to hear the results. Unfortunately im not at home to test this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2QgBv1BTfo
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#17 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:48 pm

It means we can't use dchdmi with 20% overclocking with cristal ?

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#18 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:46 am

Hmm can anyone confirm this, Does a 20% overclock with a new crystal cause problems with the DCHDMI clock rate?

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#19 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:19 pm

@ian : if you look at last @aldair videos, je had format his sdcard in fat 16 format and the result is really better with super nes emulators even with chrono trigger.

No1Dopechampion
rebel

Post#20 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:05 pm

Anonymouse , that video you posted, I made that so well done for finding it !
From what I read the other 20% overclock should also work with dchdmi as that runs off the GPU and not the CPU.
But the simplicity of the 10% without the aggro of VMU corruption makes it one of the bes mods avaliable, IMO