Dreamcast overclocking

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Mechanic
Vagabond

Dreamcast overclocking

Post#1 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 am

Yo! So how about it? Has anybody tried overclocking the dreamcast? Is it worth the trouble? I'm curiuos about it since i do have my original DC laying around with a dead GDrom drive . Figured i would try the overclocking mod and install a gdmu. If i blow it up who cares lol.
Italian Stallion

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Re: Dreamcast overclocking

Post#2 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:28 am

" If i blow it up who cares lol."

If you care so little about it, I would suggest selling it to someone who wants it instead of just ruining it because you're bored.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#3 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:29 am

I have overclocked a Dreamcast and set of VMUs in the past. I am an electrical engineer so the mod itself wasn't too overwhelming but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that is not a ninja with a soldering iron. The mod needs to be extremely neat in order to get stable results.

In the end that Dreamcast ended up getting sold as I was happier with the simplicity of a stock cpu Dreamcast.

I would imagine potential issues with this mod when using a GD-EMU. Look into this first.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:31 am

Mechanic wrote:Yo! So how about it? Has anybody tried overclocking the dreamcast? Is it worth the trouble? I'm curiuos about it since i do have my original DC laying around with a dead GDrom drive . Figured i would try the overclocking mod and install a gdmu. If i blow it up who cares lol.

I have a Dreamcast with a fucked motherboard. I keep it around as a spare. It is always handy to have spare parts at hand
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#5 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:55 am

Anonymouse wrote:I have overclocked a Dreamcast and set of VMUs in the past. I am an electrical engineer so the mod itself wasn't too overwhelming but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that is not a ninja with a soldering iron. The mod needs to be extremely neat in order to get stable results.

In the end that Dreamcast ended up getting sold as I was happier with the simplicity of a stock cpu Dreamcast.

I would imagine potential issues with this mod when using a GD-EMU. Look into this first.

Yeah that's what I figured
Aint wastin my time. Good to have that spare MB ... Thanks for the input
Last edited by Mechanic on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Italian Stallion

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#6 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:56 am

Tarnish wrote:" If i blow it up who cares lol."

If you care so little about it, I would suggest selling it to someone who wants it instead of just ruining it because you're bored.

SNAP !!
Italian Stallion

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:37 am

Ya truly runs too hot welp doesn't USB-GDROM run.. welp not cool enough either?

Go with a DreamPSU just for pre-order now though guy is awaiting the parts

TARNISHT

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#8 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:22 am

yeah MISTA..i bet the dc locks up alot with that mod also i thaught it was just a matter of snipping the 33mhz pin. Aparently a 40mhz ocillator has to be soildered in.
Italian Stallion

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#9 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:30 pm

I've got at 240Mhz over clocked DC with two OC'd memory cards as well.

Its useful as I've noticed as some games with unlocked frame rates can benefit from this.

For example, Unreal Tournament. Running with the 240mhz mod switch activated, and a few keyboard console commands (slowing the game down to say 80% speed, and disabling decals) I am able to get a good 25-40% boost in performance when compared to stock configuration. Some of the smaller maps running in the 45-60fps range while larger maps like facing worlds and lava giant become much more playable with a full compliment of bots.

Other games I've noticed improvements in would GigaWing 2 (notorious for slow motion like slowdown when filled with sprites), as well as Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 which would sometimes have slow motion slowdown during races while your transitioning between courses or passing in crowded traffic. In 240mhz mode, i never see any slowdown in TXR2, and it sure helps smooth out the experience in GigaWing when gunning with 3 friends.

Do note those that some games wont like it, and if it gets a little to hot games may not boot until the system cools down a little. Though having a Pico power supply or improved air flow by removing the GD-ROM would likely help. I've even seen some users swap over the model (0)'s larger heat pipe assembly into a (1) model to improve cooling performance. Or even the DC-Kiosk editions which also featured enhanced cooling solutions.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#10 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:16 pm

I have no interest in overclocking. I just dont care to have a dedicated vmu or 2. But it is a cool mod guess.