Dreamcast VS Link cable available for pre-order

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Homemade Dreamcast VS Link cable project interest.

Post#41 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:I can make some for about half that price. ;) I already made a few. Tested them with both F355 and Sega Tetris and they work great. They are quite difficult to make by hand but I'm hoping I'll get more efficient at it as I make more.

VSCable.jpg

put me down for one, i already did business with you once and i was deeply satisfied.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#42 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 pm

If a new indie game made use of this option it would help sell them too. A game like Alice dreams tournament would be awesome with link cable support.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#43 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 pm

i dont remember it being documented in any of the manuals i read but i still dont have the full physical set.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#44 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:11 pm

mrneo240 wrote:i dont remember it being documented in any of the manuals i read but i still dont have the full physical set.

On how to code for the vs cable?

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#45 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:31 pm

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:
mrneo240 wrote:i dont remember it being documented in any of the manuals i read but i still dont have the full physical set.

On how to code for the vs cable?

Yea

Xiden
Developer

Post#46 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:21 am

ferretdookdook
shadow

Post#47 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 pm

$75 is more than I hoped but i'd probably still be in for one. At prices of $50 i'd likely get two, maybe three, by the time it drops to $35 it's more like 3-4.

Mind you if someone beats them to the punch or the price for comparable they'd get it first as long as it's better quality than the Dragoncast stuff was. I don't gripe anyone charging what they have to to be worth their time but if a multidiscount were available (because it should be easier to get into a groove once you know how many youre making for a given batch) it makes me want to get extras. We dont do this hobby to get rich but we all vary in how much we value certain gaming experiences and it still is true there's not too many games that use this. :)

Like what people pay for those Gamecube component cables is just NUTS... ($300?) I wish someone would try to clone those for something more reasonable. There'd be lots of buyers, even me if the prices arent triple digits.

mellott124
rebel

Post#48 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:41 pm

This is Kevin over at PlanetVB. I've made two cable types so far for the Virtual Boy. A wired link cable and a USB link cable. They came out relatively nicely. I've shipped almost 100 cables now between the two.

I can design and build some Dreamcast serial cables if you guys need them. Like has been mentioned, you don't really make money from these small projects. It's really to help the retro community. And I enjoy making things that aren't available or hard to get. Especially when people are being gouged on eBay for them.

Don't really want to duplicate efforts if someone is already building them, which I see above. However want to make sure they're really coming.

Let me know what people think. Would take me about 2-3 days to design the connectors. Then about 2 weeks for an initial print and probably some updates. Could have initial cables probably in about 1-2 months. I would need to buy 2 Dreamcast consoles and 2 player games for testing. Takes me 65 minutes to build a VB cable and the Dreamcast one looks about the same.

Kevin

aldair
Metallic

Post#49 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:13 pm

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#50 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Check the recent posts sire ! Already old vid =}