Postal Now Open Source, Devs Asking for Dreamcast Port

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

runkthepunk
Doom

Re: Postal Now Open Source, Devs Asking for Dreamcast Port

Post#22 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:49 am

I agree, I am really hoping it can be finished.

I have always liked games with isometric views and this game would be a great addition to the Dreamcast library.

Not sure on potential for mods or new games using the source code but if that would be possible it's an exciting project indeed.

DanRedfield
shadow

Post#23 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:18 am

runkthepunk wrote:Not sure on potential for mods or new games using the source code but if that would be possible it's an exciting project indeed.

I'll be releasing the source code soon™ and I'm doing my best to offload as much of the CPU load to the relevant hardware, so there will definitely be potential for mods or total conversions :)

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#24 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:36 am

DanRedfield wrote:
runkthepunk wrote:Not sure on potential for mods or new games using the source code but if that would be possible it's an exciting project indeed.

I'll be releasing the source code soon™ and I'm doing my best to offload as much of the CPU load to the relevant hardware, so there will definitely be potential for mods or total conversions :)

Thanks Dan ! We appreciate <3

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#25 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:57 am

DanRedfield wrote:

Brilliant stuff!

Thanks for all the hard work i'm looking forward to going Postal soon :P

DanRedfield
shadow

Post#26 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:04 am

Hey guys. I'll have a beta ready in a few weeks and I'm looking for some testers to help out. If anyone is interested, and you have a Dreamcast console, then feel free to get in touch :)

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#27 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:06 am

Wow, I'd love to test it.
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#28 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:40 am

Bit confused, wasn't OrchardHill working on it? Is this one of those clumsy "forgot the password" moments?
Nevertheless, got a GDemu-equipped Dreamcast ready to test with, and will also put this through the paces of emulation.

What is there to anticipate not working out of the gate?
I have to assume no rumble, no VMU saving, probably no music (maybe sound FX at least), but will there be an issue using VGA at all? Is everything mapped correctly to the gamepad? IIRC, Postal is an isometric shooter with a twin-stick vibe to it. Will it be all analog stick, or is there movement by ABXY and aiming with the stick? Any KBM support for that quality port replication?

DanRedfield
shadow

Post#29 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:33 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:Is this one of those clumsy "forgot the password" moments?

Yes... to the email address I registered with, thus no password reset :oops:

WedgeStratos wrote:I have to assume no rumble, no VMU saving, probably no music (maybe sound FX at least),

No rumble, but VMU, music, and SFX will be supported. A couple of the bigger levels will have some sounds cut, but they are mostly variants of "aaaah" and "stop shooting me" etc.

WedgeStratos wrote:but will there be an issue using VGA at all?

That's what I've primarily been testing with (over HDMI) - It hits 60 fps frequently and after this last round of optimisations I'm hoping for near stable 60.

WedgeStratos wrote:Is everything mapped correctly to the gamepad?

For the time being it's analogue stick with a new lock-on feature using the left trigger. No KB/M support for v1.0 but I'm open-sourcing the project after cleaning up the code, so folk are more than welcome to add support for it thereafter.

I'm a full time dad with a 4 month old son, so I don't have very much spare time for a decent testing exercise so I really appreciate everybody offering to help out with the project.

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#30 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:38 pm

Wonderful news.

Being a full time dad with small children , been there done that twice haha , leaves not much spare time .

Anyway if needed , I would also be happy to test your port . Great work !