boardband adapter

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
djexotic
dark night

boardband adapter

Post#1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:36 pm

how come nobody made a third party boardband adapter yet. i know this is kinda pointless but their are people out their who still play online dreamcast games that is out their. is it hard to make or engineer to produce?

everynewday84
Nemesis

Re: boardband adapter

Post#2 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:25 pm

there are now more desirable lower costing options available.

RIP BBA
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:52 pm

You can play the most online games with the DreamPi. I currently have the Netopia setup.

Unfortunately, the BBA still rules Q3A...all I see is orange and what looks like a slideshow presentation when they are in. Hopefully, when I graduate from Netopia to the DreamPi method, I will see a performance difference.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:30 am

The BBA also has some sort of custom Sega chip in it that would be expensive to reproduce. It's easier to use external generic hardware to talk to the plentiful supply of authentic Dreamcast modems than to try to reproduce proprietary Sega hardware to make homebrew BBAs, especially when the modem is generally considered more desirable than the BBA, due to its larger library of supported games.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:02 am

Yea its similar to the GameCube component cables, proprietary chips inside that are not worth trying to reproduce.

the BBA at this point is a dev tool now. As of now it's my only option till I can spend money on a dreamPI. IF we ever get some of the other BBA games back online like outrigger, unreal tournament or even propeller arena the device might have more value as an online play device. But at this point I hope prices drive down so devs can get their hands on them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#6 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:05 am

Still...I don't see the bba becoming more popular if more games get back online, specially coz dreampi does the same and costs less than half the price of a bba...
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:59 am

Exactly. I mean I'd like to see someone reproduce it, as it's a great dev tool. I think kazade was trying to reproduce coder cables, which are slower but any new hardware dev is great.

Iirc there was a JP guy working on a on homemade BBA. But the site has been dead and gone for years.

I played q3 on dialup back in the day but never minded as my mind was blown by console netplay. Is the latest bad on dreamPI?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk